+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoiding Lightning Rash

Default Avoiding Lightning Rash

Some of you will remember that I am sure I am allergic to lightning and want to avoid the terrible rash it can cause. A little research just told me on average we get rain 120 days per year and thunder 50 - 60 days per year. I learned years ago that thunder is caused by lightning superheating the air suddenly. With the data above, you can understand my concern about getting caught as the highest point on a body of water.

Last Sunday afternoon after by 3/4 mile hike (approaching 90 degrees and 60% humidity) with 30 lbs. of float tube and equipment, I sat down by the river (my anti-perspirant had totally failed me) to put on my waders, etc., when I heard it thunder in the east. Thinking weather usually moves west to east around here, I got into the river and fished my little section of the river, a couple of hundred yards before reaching the take out it start thundering back from the west. I kicked it up a notch and got out. Now while floating in the river the banks are probably on average 10 ft. above water level and are tree lined on each side. The river is 100 ? 150 ft. wide. The question is do the tree offer a good degree of lightning protection for anyone in the river? What if any would be effect on someone floating in the river if a tree on the bank is struck?

I go and contribute to the church regularly, am true to my wife and do not drink excessively, just in case you were thinking of those factors.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I believe you would glow beautifully! But what do I know!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    I believe you would glow beautifully! But what do I know!!
    But would I still be in this world or in the here after?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

I was just down at the lake. It started rumbling so I headed back to the cabin. About the time I got to the cabin, it started raining quite hard and the lightning was crashing all around. I dashed over to the Training Lodge so I could watch the lake and saw lightning strike the lake. Water and steam everywhere!

The lake sits in a bowl with good sized ridges on all 4 sides. Water is the best path to ground. In fact, it is a better path to ground than the ground is.

Now that I have avoided getting soaked and torched and had a sandwich, the rain has stopped. The sun is out and it is time to go see if I can coax a fish or ten out of the lake while I still have the whole camp to myself.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    But would I still be in this world or in the here after?
    I think we can go with a very firm 'maybe' here.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

When it comes to summer storms, get off the water- get out of the water (water is a great conductor of electricity from lighting strikes), the electrical discharge can also travel along the wet banks along the water's edge! Remember that the State DNR, check fish populations by electrifying the water to get a fish population tally by species and sizes..

Avoid trees (they are mother natures lighting rods, with their height and underground roots system electrifying the ground around the tree).

Get to a open area and crouch down, resting only on the rubber soles of your shoes (boots) insulating you from any electrcial discharge sent through the wet ground beneath you. Helps to be in a low spot between higher elevations around you! But you do not want to be in a spot where rain water starts to pool up.....

Better yet, if the weather channels say expect thunder storms (why do they call them thunder storms, when thunder is not what can kill you) just give up on the idea of going fishing, and wait for a day when there is no storms forcast for your fishing area.... better to be safe, then risk injury or death. ~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 08-06-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Thank you Steven, that says most of it.
    But as a current boy scout I have had training in this area, and there are just a few more things to touch on.

First, I want to stress the importance of staying away from trees, and finding a low spot. But stay out of field; this will automatically make you the tallest object in the area and a target for lightning. The safest place to be in a storm is in your car-rubber tires, and non-conductive frame.

But sometimes you can't get to your car, or you are out in a big field, or on a lake, and storm is upon you before you can get to a safe spot.
    What do you do?

Make yourself as low as possible, lie down do whatever you can. Sometimes this does not work and you will be struck, but this is not the end. While lightning can be fatal, it does not have to be. Many people have survived strikes.

The trick is the lightning crouch. When you are going to be struck by lightning you can feel static in the atmosphere, and your hair stands up on end. This is when you use the lightning crouch and fast.
    You lean forward into a crouching position with you head between your knees and below them if possible.
    When/if the lightning strikes what happens is it hits you back and travels down your spine. But lightning hates curves and it essentially is shot out your butt. This will detour the lightning around your heart and save you from death. This might sound harsh but what's the alternative...

Fishin' squirt,
    Michael E.
    "Tell me and I forget,
    Teach me and I remember,
    Involve me and I learn."

~~Benjamin Franklin~~

Michael, would you by any chance have photo documentation of the 'shot out your butt' part?

Thanx in advance,

MontanaMoose

No Montana, the capture of this remarkable image is rare if existant. However Michael, if you were paying attention, you would say that there isnt enough time between realizing you will be struck by lightning and the strike itself to get into position. If you find yourself in the middle of a field, go into the crouch. Dont wait to feel tingles.

Jordan

Thanks dryfly, but...well i mean if one went to the crouch in the middle of a field and waited for a strike, couldn't one also set up a camera to capture the...you know, the other ?

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread