+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty cool .....

Default Pretty cool .....

On my last flyfishing weekend getaway I headed to a tailwater I love to fish. I usually go with a friend but this time I went solo. I was really needing some quality time on the river. My first full day on the water did not disappoint as fish were caught on soft hackle, nymphs, midges, and dries throughout the day. Retiring to the house I rented (on the river) I fixed something to eat and then tied flies while watching tv for the next 2-3 hours. I decided to use a chest pack the following day instead of my vest so I switched things out accordingly. The following morning I fished a stretch of water that was "good" and I was the only one on the water at the time. I was fishing a tandem rig with 7x tippet on the bottom fly which I had rigged up before leaving for the river. The wind began to freshen and the bite was picking up. It dawned on me at that point I did not have any nippers with me. Granted, not the worst thing in the world to be without on the river, but for me it was pretty discouraging as I change flies alot through the day. I was thinking about my options ... go back to the house and get the nippers, or, get out and drive to a fly shop, or, just clip the line as close to the eye of the hook with my teeth. I really didn't want to leave the river as I had taken a good 20 minutes to slowly get in position, and leaving would take a little more than an hour round trip. I decided to just tough it out. The water was clear and about 2 feet deep and this particular section was covered with didymo on the bottom. If you don't know what didymo is, we also call it rock snot. It was thick and totally covered the rocks. I'm looking down at my feet as I slowly begin to walk and I see what appears to be a pair of hemostats, at least I saw one of the finger loops sticking out of the didymo. I reached down to get them and would you believe, on the other loop of the hemostats was a swivel clip with a pair of nippers. I laughed out loud. Isn't that pretty cool

Blog Entries

Sounds to me like you were supposed to be fishing and not chasing after nippers.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

That is a sign my Friend from the River Spirits......Trust me ....That is way yonder cool!!!!!

Pretty cool indeed!!! And could not happen to a finer person! I enjoyed your outing and I thank you for sharing it with us....
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

COOL! All I've found lately is golf balls. there's two or three rattling around in the trunk of my car now.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

A result of the wisdom of our well thought decisions. enjoyed the story Greg.
    Steve

Well sounds like to me you was just where you was suppossed to be, great story, and I am wondering what you fixed to eat too, you could share a bite of that too...lol
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

As to the subject of found things, I have found a Case pocket knife (still have it!) and a very expensive jerk bait while trout fishing and yes, both days turned out very well!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Hey Greg, those are mine and I want them back!!
    You are definitely livn' right young man!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Very cool! I would fish with those items....it's a sign from the River Gods! :^) Maybe the next time out you won't slip on ditymo and break a hip because you are carrying them! LOL!

Years ago while fishing, I got some mono wrapped around my boot in the tailout of a big deep hole. I got to pulling on it, and found a Silstar ultr-lite spinning rig on the other end. My kids still use that setup....and it works fine.

+ Reply to Thread