+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: travel tying kits

Question travel tying kits

I am looking for Ideas on putting together a travel kit for tying. I am not talking about a one type of fly kit,I want to be able to tye any kind of fly I might need not just the basic fly, I want to know what you put to gether and how many box you take, I am looking for ideas on handleing my stuff on the road.
    Ghost

I have an extra "AA" vise with a table clamp that fits inside a plastic box about 18"x12x6, with plenty of extra space. I've been able to a lot of stuff in it by putting feathers and other soft material in bags, and keep spools of thread on a dowel to keep them organized to one side, I've even been able to put a whole plastic dubbing dispenser in there. You can get small plastic containers to keep hooks in or just leave them in small bags. But if I were to cut back on some of the materials that I don't use alot I could probably keep the whole thing in a shoe box. It may end up lacking in a few things but I've been able to tie most things that I've wanted to out of it. You can probably get a plastic box with a snap lid at a craft store or walmart or something

I keep all my Flash Materials and EP Fibers or anything that comes in Hanks or even like peacock herls etc., in clear plastic tubes with red end caps and they work great for storage and would be handy for traveling.
    Here is a start where they can be purchased;
    www.uline.com and or just call em at 800-958-5463 might be able to find some on ebay.....they are Clear plastic shipping tubes with red end caps.
    here is another place; http://www.cleartecpackaging.com/
    Last edited by jeffro; 08-01-2010 at 04:09 AM.

This is my "ready for anything" kit. Cabelas doesn't make this particular bag anymore, but any roller duffel will work as long as it will hold the 3700 size Plano boxes. I sort my materials by type (i.e., Feathers in one box, fur in one, hooks in one, tools in one, synthetics in one, and so on). Seems to do pretty well for most situations I find myself in. If I'm traveling light, then I just pull out the boxes I'll need and go.

IMGP6583.jpgIMGP6582.jpg
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I'm with Bluegill. Mine looks very similar, though not quite as neat. VEE and I each have a travel case like that. When we hit the road we can outfit a small fly shop.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Well,
    I am struggling with the same delimma, and have not come up with an answer except to buy a trailer for my car and put everything in it.

I went to Yellowstone this year without a tying kit... left my security blanket at home. I did take a couple of thousand of flies that worked in the past. That didn't help my anxiety. But still caught a lot of fish.

Maybe next year I might take a kit of tools and hooks, Stop in a good fly shop in the area, ask what flies are successful that time ,that month, that year, buy a few, and then buy the materials needed to tie those patterns,

After 18 years of packing a kit for Yellowstone I still don't pack the right materials

If you solve the problem make sure to tell me

TomW

I don't see the kitchen sink in there, isn't that a big mistake?
    You have everything else

Thorarinn

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill222 View Post
    This is my "ready for anything" kit. Cabelas doesn't make this particular bag anymore, but any roller duffel will work as long as it will hold the 3700 size Plano boxes. I sort my materials by type (i.e., Feathers in one box, fur in one, hooks in one, tools in one, synthetics in one, and so on). Seems to do pretty well for most situations I find myself in. If I'm traveling light, then I just pull out the boxes I'll need and go.

Attachment 5418Attachment 5419

The sink is in one of the front pockets
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Hello GrayGhost, i needed a permanent yet portable setup for my shoddy attempts at fly tying and when i mentioned this to wifey, she surprised me with a cube shaped storage made of 1" pine that had a flop down door and shelves. Everything i had at the time fit in the cube and though i've got 'overflow' now that is kept nearby, the materials are all represented in the portable heavy duty box. It measures about 15" wide, 11" deep and about 13" high. The door is hinged, there's a fold down handle on top and when she built it, she added a fancy door pull like you'd see on an antique desk drawer or such.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMoose View Post
    Hello GrayGhost, i needed a permanent yet portable setup for my shoddy attempts at fly tying and when i mentioned this to wifey, she surprised me with a cube shaped storage made of 1" pine that had a flop down door and shelves. Everything i had at the time fit in the cube and though i've got 'overflow' now that is kept nearby, the materials are all represented in the portable heavy duty box. It measures about 15" wide, 11" deep and about 13" high. The door is hinged, there's a fold down handle on top and when she built it, she added a fancy door pull like you'd see on an antique desk drawer or such.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose
    Sounds good. How about a few pics.
    When I travel I keep my tools in a old hanging dopp kit. It has slots for most of my needed tools & enough storage space for my Odyssey vise & some small plastic bags of materials I think I'll need. If I'm going to the cabin in Maine or anywhere by driving I just throw it & anything else I think I'll need into a small backpack or Duffle

+ Reply to Thread