+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: foam flies...what the heck

Default foam flies...what the heck

Well at age 53 and still fighting cancer, I wonder where the future is going. I have tied flies for 30 odd years.
    I have seen the foam fly craze and said that I would never tie a foam fly (just old school or set in my ways I guess). But in light of everything and not feelin to good these days,I have been grounded at home...so, I dug out the vice and try my hand at "my foam grasshoppers", took it fishing and well...they work
    (thanks goes out to board member AlbaSurf for sending me some foam...guess we'll blame her for all of this )DSCN0347.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking flies, nice fish, too. They tie up easy, they're durable, what's not to like, eh?
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Very nice looking and most times they fish better than they look. The only fish I havn't caught opn a foam fly so far is a carp and I hope to change that soon.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Nice looking hoppers, although I am 11 years older I have only been tying half as long as you, but I love tying with foam. I saw a couple of things on you hoppers I haven't been doing but will include in my next group. What a friend calls R&D, Rob & Duplicate. From the bass you are holding I am guessing the ultimate critics approved of the pattern.

Good luck with the cancer. The advances we are making with medicine are amazing.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thank you Uncle Jesse (nice name, but my Son is a Jesse too)...love your R&D idea.........now can I R&D your quote on God?

I'm fighting CML since 2004, my mircle chemo pill just stop working, so we will try a new one............yup, were all in Gods hands everyday.

DSCN0336.jpganother foam fly
    DSCN0313.jpg

If Mr. Pearson doesn't object to you using the quote, I certainly do not. I like that little bit of sparkle in the wing. Some one posted a "strike indicator / foam hopper" a couple of weeks back. I really liked the body, changed the wing to deer hair and will add an eye to the next version and probably try some turkey tail fiber legs. I think the turkey fiber give a better look, rubber gives more action, decisions, decisions. The fish probably don't really care, they think grasshoppers, taste like chicken, yum. I will put us a photo of the other pattern when I get some tied. If you find yourself in Atlanta give me a call and we will go chase something, right now I tend to trout fish as my main bream/bass lake shutdowns due to the heat and the 50 deg. water is so much more comfortable to float.

Cancer is certainly a hideous disease. My wife lost an uncle and aunt several years ago. My side of the family has been lucky from that standpoint, I had a non-Hoskins lymphnome removed from my chest 9 years ago, but we got it before it did any harm. I am the poster child for watching irregular dark spots on your skin. I did and we got it before it got me. We have had several survivors in my church including one friend who had a level 4 brain tumor go into remission for over 10 years. She saw both sons graduate from high school, which is what she prayed for, before it came back. I just saw on Facebook today the youngest just got his bachelors from Univ. of Ga.

Remember, "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." The apostle James had pretty good connections.
    Last edited by Uncle Jesse; 07-30-2010 at 06:04 PM.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Excellent flies - those dog's will hunt! Thanks for sharing. I'm a foam convert and use it it many of my creations. I just tied up some 'Hopper Juan" hoppers using foam; can't wait to try them out.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I love the way your flies look & it looks like the fish approve too.
    Best wishes in your battle with cancer. I hope you beat that dirty so and so.

Looks like you still have it, nice looking flies Butternut-Tyer!!!
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

+ Reply to Thread