+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Saltwater Fly Hooks? Mustad 3407DT? 34007? Others?

Default Saltwater Fly Hooks? Mustad 3407DT? 34007? Others?

Hello Everyone,
    I'm thinking of carrying saltwater hooks in my online stores.

Any suggestions. I'm in Lincoln Nebraska about 1500 miles from either the Atlantic or Pacific & 1000 miles form the Gulf. So I don't know what Models or Sizes to carry. I have quite a few overseas customers, especially in Australia, that I know would like to get some saltwater hooks with their orders.

I want to start off with one Model, and one or two sizes and go from there.

Mustad is the brand I want to carry, and I'm leaning toward the Mustad 3407DT (Duratin). I was thinking of trying size 2 at first to see how they sell. (Is that too small?)

Any opinions on saltwater hooks in general?

Thanks Guys

Bill
    NEVER sneeze into your fly box!

Cold Guest

Get sizes that your local anglers might want to use for their bass & pike flies. Also, check out the new numbering of the signature series.

Thanks 'Cold',

I've just about memorized the new signature numbering system. I look forward to more hooks being updated to the signature line.

But the local guys usually buy the dry fly hooks or nymph hooks & the 3366's. No need for saltwater hooks here.

The reason I asked this question, is to provide something for the non-locals. I.E. Europe, Australia, South America, and of course the U.S. coasts.

Mustad's signature hook is the S71SZ, which is similar to the 3407DT but almost twice the price. Great hooks though.

I'm mostly looking for suggestions on sizes. I'd like to stock the most commonly used sizes first, and then broaden out from there.

Bill

Both hooks you mentioned seem to be used in a large amount of saltwater patterns, especially bonefish/permit. I would guess sizes 4, 2, and 1/0 would be a good start.

I use the 3407DT's in 4's and 6's to tie Clouser minnows. They're relatively cheap and VERY tough! If there's a fish in KS that can straighten them out, I'm not sure I want to tangle with it on a fly rod. With a little salesmanship, I bet you can sell them in the local market as well.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

I use the Mustad 3407DT in sizes 8 through 4/0 and the 34011 in sizes 6 through 2/0. The 34011 I use only for crease flies. The 3407 I use for all sorts of salt and freshwater patterns.

Size 2 3407 is a good size if you are going to start with just one. It can be used for clouser minnows and deceivers in the 2.5 to 3 inch long range as well as crab and other patterns.

Blog Entries

Gamakatsu SC15, Tiemco 811S.

Thanks Guys

I really appreciate all your help.

You're a great bunch, as always

Bill

+ Reply to Thread