+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bfr fly reels

Default bfr fly reels

Does anyone here know anything about BFR fly reels? I did a little research on the internet about them but nothing on people who have used them and what they think of the product.

Had one once. It appeared to be well-made. British Fly Reels used to make reels for Orvis. They are okay, but nothing special compared to some reels out there. I imagine that they are a decent reel for the price. They remind me of SA Concept reels. Serviceable reels.

I think they make the St. Croix Imperial and Pro fly reels. The company has been around a good while

The reels made by BFR are good quality for the cost. I have heard that Orvis owns BFR. Cetainly a number of the Orvis reels are made by BFR.

For example, the Dragonfly brand reel (355, 375 and 395) sell for about $75 and include a second cassette. They are disk drag reels. Not necessarliy a great reel but excellent value. I forget which Orvis reel was the same.

Recently BFR moved its manufacturing facilities from the UK and I have heard that they have had difficulties in setting up their new plant. As a result there is no product available this year.

Leeda and Dragonfly are other brands that are made by BFR.

When I look at the Scientific Angler System 2L reels I wonder if they were also made by BFR. There is quite a similarity to BFR made reels.

I believe the Dragonfly is the same reel as the now discontinued Orvis Rocky Mountain casette reel. Even the numbers were the same and I think the casettes are interchangeble.

I have three of the 375 bodies and a dozen casettes which I use exclusively for my lake fishing. They have been very dependable so far and the drag is very good for the price. The price of the casettes is so low that I could afford a lot of them, they store well and change easily.

A thing of beauty they are not however and if you are sensitive to what you are seen on the water with they may not do much for self esteem. Still a lotta bang for the buck though. Ive

BFR did make reels for Orvis including the beautiful CFO (which Hardy use to make also), but around March of 2005, Orvis switched manufacturers. They are now made in Korea. Not sure of the reason, maybe competetive pricing.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

I have The Rimfly Dish reel on my 4 weight and it seems to handle the large fish weel and it is really smooth. It does not over reel i really like it.

Hey thanks everyone for the imput. I bought 2 one for $8.00 and 1 for $10.00 and gave them to friends as gifts. sounds like they will like them.

+ Reply to Thread