+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEB Stinger

Lightbulb FEB Stinger

Hopper season is in full swing. I've noticed all along with the FEB flies that any number of hits don't hook up, but the fish seem to hold on for a while, more than just the tug you get with a miss, and more so with smaller fish.

Yesterday, after observing this phenomonen on a day with a lot of fish around the fly, I began to wonder again if the fish are short striking the extended body but hanging on to the fly for a ride before letting go. I had been considering ways of getting the positive effects of the FEB and eliminating the short strikes by using the antron as "dubbing" or going to a longer shank hook so the hook itself is closer to the end of the FEB, but hadn't decided on a solution. Simply dubbing the body for the look of the FEB eliminates the movement of the FEB, which I believe is a factor in its success. Using a longer shank hook would add weight and might distort the size / silhouette aspect which would be undesirable.

Then it dawned on me. How about incorporating a "stinger" in the FEB ??

The method is very simple. When making the FEB, simply add a length of tippet to the strands of antron. Slide a hook of choice onto the tippet before capturing the end of the tippet in the furling tool ( whatever method you use ). Position the hook at the middle of the antron strands before you begin twisting. When you are ready to furl, simply use a bodkin to pull on the hook as you release tension, and the hook will extend from the very end of the FEB.

After tying the fly, cut off the hook used to tie the fly at the bend ( unless you want to have both hooks working for you, or against you, as the case may be ).

For the FEB Hoppers in the pic, I used size 12 dry fly hooks to tie the fly, and added a size 18 Dai-Riki 125 "stinger" using 5X tippet in the FEB. You will want to develop a technique for ensuring that the "stinger" won't pull out when hooking up with a good size fish.

Should get a chance to try these flies out tomorrow or the next day. Will update the thread with the results of the experiment.

John

P.S. REE - This might solve the problem you had with the FEB October Caddis at Lowell a couple years ago.
    The fish are always right.

I like the idea of the stinger and the way you tied it in looks like it should work well. I'm looking forward to hearing how they work.

Greg

John, I think it's a good idea. Thanks for sharing and Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Here I thought you went and made an FEB wasp...
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Default First cast it got a look ...

... second cast it got a fish.

After that it slowed down some.

The stinger is better for catching smaller fish based on today's results. The fish were not nearly as active as they were a couple days ago, and I did have quite a few that hit the fly and did not hook up, but it seemed I hooked and landed a higher proportion of the smaller fish that I saw around the fly today.

Didn't turn many larger fish today, but I did come away with the impression that the stinger was not quite as effective hooking up with the ones that hit the fly. I attribute that to the size 18 hook more than anything else.

The typical hook up was just like the one shown in the picture - close to center in the upper lip. Also, several times fish took the fly as I moved it on a tight line downstream of my position. Those hook ups were generally very solid whereas that technique more often than not produces a miss without the stinger.

There is a downside to the stinger. Any number of times it caught the tippet. Not quite sure what the mechanics of that were, when and how it was happening, but I found it necessary to check frequently to be sure that the hook was actually extended from the FEB. I suspect that some of the hits / misses I saw came when the hook was not extended.

So it was a qualified success. I think the problem with the hook catching the tippet is easily solved by going to a stiffer material to incorporate in the FEB - but not so stiff to impede movement of the FEB while fishing it.

I think a larger hook would result in a higher proportion of hook ups with bigger fish.

Had a good time experimenting with the fly today. Will make a couple changes to see if they make a difference.

John

P.S. The technique used to add the stinger got me to thinking about some of the other things that might be done using the same basic approach. Got some head scratching to do.

Can someone point me to the pattern for the FEB hopper? I've searched but have had no luck so far.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Normand Guest

Default Better yet ...

... here's a link to the FOTW presentation.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...tw20090810.php

John

John, That stinger would sure solve the short strike problem all right. When you use the stinger, do you clip off the main hook at the bend?

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Default I chose to cut the hook ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Eagle Elk View Post
    John, That stinger would sure solve the short strike problem all right. When you use the stinger, do you clip off the main hook at the bend?

REE
    ... on which the fly is tied at the bend.

I just don't like having an extra pointy thing to deal with, whether it would be the stinger where the fish took the main hook, or the main hook if the fish took the stinger.

No reason you have to cut it. Depends on how prepared you are to handle a wiggly fish with a fully exposed hook in the vicinity of your fingers.

John

+ Reply to Thread