+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The carp win

Default The carp win

I was out on the local trout stream yesterday, and caught quite a few in spite of the low, clear water conditions and a stiff south wind. It's been unseasonably warm around here lately--yesterday was in the low 60's. I was fishing a hole I don't normally fish, and I noticed that there were a group of 6 4-5 lb carp hanging out on the flats. I was catching plenty of trout, so I figured that I would switch gears and test out my 4 weight. I tied on a carp fly, and put a cast out just past the group. They didn't even budge. I bumped it in a little closer, putting it right under the nose of one. Nothing. Another slow stripping got me under the nose of another. Again nothing. In the end, I threw my best carp patterns with pretty decent presentation, and they shut me down entirely.
    Good thing that the trout were stupid. (Or should this be in the warm water forum?)

Obviously there must be some disease, that is specific to carp and not to trout, that gives the carp lockjaw! Naw,,,,,,, they are just that way. Just keep after them and be ready for a fight. Spray WD 40 on a fly and try it. Be sure when you catch one to wipe that smug look off the carps face before you release it.

Andy

------------------
    all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!

Blog Entries

We have a guy here in North Texas who has perfected carp flyfishing to the point that he runs a guide service simply for carp. His technique involves finding them when they are rooting in the weeds for bugs and dropping a fly under their nose. Seems that actively feeding carp are the easiest ones to catch on a fly. But get in touch with Dave via his website trashonthefly for more info. Heck, if you are in North Texas it would be worth it to book a trip this spring or summer.

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:4f310]http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com[/url:4f310]
    IM = robinrhyne@hotmail.com

The N Platte Anglers fly shop in Casper, Wyo. also offers guided carp flyfishing tours. They pole a boat around the flats on Seminoe Res and other places, the idea being that it's an inexpensive way for folks to learn how to fish the flats for bonefish and tarpon before they book their expensive trip to the bahamas or belize. A way to get that double haul in high winds down ahead of time so your guide in the bahamas doesn't laugh at you!

Carp are a hoot to catch -- I recommend reading "Carp on the Fly" by Reynolds, Befus, and Barryman. Since carp eat vegetation too, there's fly patterns in that book for tying cottonwood tree puffs and mulberry fruit flies! I'm actually wearing my new "Carp Unlimited" hat today as I type. It says "The Golden Ghost" on the back. LOL!

Their info is at:
    [url=http://carpunlimited.com:75ce3]carpunlimited.com[/url:75ce3]

DANBOB

A actually managed to catch one last fall while trout fishing with a 2 weight. I never had a chance. He owned me from the moment he realized that I was hooked up. So now I use a 4 weight!

ol' Blue, ...

LoL!!!, ... That happens ALL DAY LONG sometimes while fishing for Atlantic salmon. I guess we just get used to it.

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:8eb1b]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:8eb1b]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:8eb1b]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:8eb1b]
    Christopher Chin

Try the Keyword Search on the left-hand menu for carp. Stand back. There are a couple of just excellent articles in the Canada section on fishing for carp in the Spring with nymphs too.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Blue, you can get 'em with a 2 weight. My 6'6" two is my favorite weapon for carp.

Carp are experts at ignoring bait. Some days they wont eat an ounce of it. Sometimes chumming can get them going, or even better, in a competative feeding frenzy. Its hard to over chum with carp. I dont know if you object to using scents, but dipping the fly in corn may help. Carps' four barbels are very sensitive to taste/smell

I think the 2 weight would have been ok in the right place, but I'm fishing in a smaller creek with lots of brush from beaver activity. You have to be able to put some backbone into them from the very start or they will get you into the timber.
    I've been thinking about using a little spray attractant, but that seems to be a mute point at the moment, since we have a front coming in, and it appears we are going to have sub-freezing temps for the next week along with snow and ice. Back to the trout.
    Am I twisted for starting to think of trout as my fall-back species? If nothing else will bite, there is always trout. :0 Coldwater bluegill of sorts. (Now don't kill me for this--I'm just playing a little)

+ Reply to Thread