+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod Epoxy

Default Rod Epoxy

I am curious about what kind of Epoxy you Ladies and Gents use for the finishing of your Rods.
    I been using Epoxy for tying some of my flies and cant seem to find one that doesnt yellow or turn white or get a faded or muddy look to it, sooooo......

my question is....what brand do you folks use for Rod building?
    I need a super clear coat instead of ruined finished flies.
    Thanks
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

I've used FlexCoat light and regular on almost all of my rod finishes, with good results. The last rod I finished (last night) I used Diamond II finish. Not sure what part of Texas you're in, but I bought it in Houston. Of course you can get it shipped. Really clear.

A side note to this:If you like to use epoxy for flies. I tie several flies to the point where the epoxy is needed and set them aside before I finish the rod. Then I will epoxy the flies while I am turning the blank with the excess epoxy.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Jeffro,
    You can get pre measured epoxy packets from Cabela's. It's high quality epoxy and you don't ever need to wonder if you have the right proportions of resin and hardener. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Thanks Fellas,
    I took some 5min epoxy back to Hobby Lobby cuz it would claber like sour buttermilk and was drying white.....
    so I got some Loctite 5min epoxy and it is cloudy on some flies (Baby Flounder) and I was as really disapointed due to all the work I did on em and then to have em come out cloudy....I bet the reason it has a cloudy look is because of the Super glue used under the epoxy,not sure.

And thats why I am gonna take ya'lls Kind advise.....Thank you all for bein there for me.
    Last edited by jeffro; 07-08-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Superglue will make a white spot under your epoxy.
    Rod epoxy can be bought anywhere. Threadmaster, Flexcote, Diamond II, both regular and lite, are very clear and stay clear. UV rays will, sooner or later turn them a shade yellow. I find U-40 products turning yellow soner than the above mentioned.
    I never used the other companies epoxies that are out there but I understand they are just as good. All have a slightly different working pot life, etc but still the same job.
    The packets mentioned are probably made by PacBay and are the Rodsmiths epoxies they sell. Another good company but I never used.

Randy

I've been using flec coat lite as well - great stuff.
    If you need to use super glue before epoxy, put an intermediate coat of color preserver where the super glue is. An easy color preserver is white paper glue diluted with water (about 70-30 to 60-40). Should do the trick to prevent the interacting bleach effect from the superglue and epoxy.

Darrell,

Thanks darrell

+ Reply to Thread