+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who fishes from a kayak?

Default Who fishes from a kayak?

Hi Everyone,

Just got my Wife a kayak for her birthday so she can go out with her friends doing the summer. She has one of those school jobs that allows her only to work 10 months out of the year.
    Now my question, I've been looking at this thinking maybe I can use it go fishing with, does anyone use a kayak to fly fish from?

Thanks,
    Alan (salmonguy)
    Catch & Release Works...

Alan

I fish out of a 12' Currrent Design. I use it both on rivers and small lakes. It does take some getting use to. One of the challenges in moving water is controlling your boat while you cast. But other than that I have had no problems.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Salmonguy, I just received mine today, 13'6" hobie Quest Fisherman. I have never been in one but Gil sucked me into it . I put a fishfinder/gps combo on it, rudder and an anchor. It will make its vigin voyage to the Fish-in in March.

I'll use it in the salt, ponds,lakes and rivers.
    [url=http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/:56f62]http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/[/url:56f62]

Try it, I think you'll like it

Philip

------------------
    Excus my spelling and gramma, I hooked Mondays and Fridays so I could Hunt or fish.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

Search the archives here...there were several threads on kayak fishing last year. And one of the regular article writers had several stories about fishing out of his kayak (Jim Hatch I think).

I fish out of a Hobie Outback and love it.

I got started after some fishing buddies kicked my butt going upstream on a slow spring creek in northern CA. They weren't putting out any real effort in their kayaks and I had a trolling motor on 4 (it overheated if I tried '5')...we were heading upstream and I couldn't come close to keeping up.

With my Outback, I can leave them in the dust and still have my rod in my hands (foot-powered kayak).

Hobie has a new model due out later this year. Longer and narrower than the Outback. That will make it much faster but a wee bit less stable. Perfect for salt-water fishing (that's the intended target according to the guy at a recent fishing show that was displaying it).

There are now something like 5 models of the Hobie foot-powered kayaks. 3 of them are intended for fishing. The Outback was the first (and is now the middle-sized of the three), then the Sport, and now the upcoming salt water long one.

They also have a tandem. I saw a guy fishing from one of the tandems a while back. He fished from the back seat and his wife sat up front reading as they went around the lake enjoying a great afternoon together.

I have an old 12'Percepition. The only thing I ever added to it was a bungie line along the side to hold my rod when I shove off and land.
    I use it mostly in protected salt water but I have been out in seas higher than my head. No worrys.
    I have so much fun paddling the thing that sometimes I forget to fish.
    Don't forget your PFD and maybe a leash or two for your paddle and fly rod. Oh, and a compass too.
    In all the years I have had my kayak, I have never once been in it without my PFD on.

Philip, be careful if you use that anchor in rough water. It can cause you to flip.
    I don't carry one myself.

------------------
    I never lost a little fish
    yes, I'm free to say
    It always was the biggest fish
    I caught that got away
    ...Eugene Field
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I to have a Hobie Quest Fisherman with fishfinder, rudder and an anchor trolly. Got it last March and love it. Fished out of an Old Town Loon for several years , no comparison.
    Rudder is the big difference for boat control while casting.
    What kind did you get?
    Steve

[This message has been edited by flyman9 (edited 16 February 2006).]

[This message has been edited by flyman9 (edited 16 February 2006).]

Been kayak fishing for a couple of years now. Went through a couple and still have four. Though pretty much only use the Hobie Outback now.
    The KFS site is the best for any info or ideas ya need to get started. Don't be afraid to ask anything there; you'll always get an answer.
    Don't forget to troll a fly behind ya while you're moving!!!! You'll love it.

Thanks for info dudley, I won't use it in ruff water for sure now.

I agree on KFS web site, tons of info and they shipped it to me for only 49.00.

Fishertim, what line do you use for trolling and how far do you go down with the line 15' ?

Philip

------------------
    Excus my spelling and gramma, I hooked Mondays and Fridays so I could Hunt or fish.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

I don't fish out of a kayak myself (just canoe, pontoon, or drift boat if I can afford it) but a friend in Maine has a great time on one in the saltwater. He likes to use it for Stipers and refers to a good hookup as a "Nantucket Sleighride". Sounds like a way to avoid the bridge toll on your next trip off PEI.

Brian

I recently found and bought a Dagger Bayou kayak. I have a 16' Jon Boat which is too big to fool with when I am alone, and a U-Toob that takes forever if I am trying to get anywhere. I fished for years out of my canoe and my back won't take it anymore so I bought the kayak. This will be my first season with it so we will have to compare notes and share lessons learned.

------------------
    Clint

I feel closer to HIM when I'm fishing.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

+ Reply to Thread