+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best breathable Waders.

I really like my Simms. Don't know what "model" they are. I am like a lot of people in that I could not afford them. My wife gifted me with a pair before she passed.

I really do like the Simms. Great stuff. If I ever ruin them I don't know what I will do. But they are great waders. Going on 4 years now. But only use them in a pontoon. So I vote for Simms. But I cannot afford them.

I have purchased some rods and reels from Albright. Looks like good quality to me. Although I didn't purchase any of the low end stuff....what "I" purchased I am quite satisfied with. I would not hesitate to buy a pair of Albright Breathables at any price under $100. My guess is that they would be terrific.

Just BTW....their closeout board used to have nothing in it. Like closeouts' from end of last year finally gone? Well they have a lot of stuff back on the closeouts board. Waders I think...but A5 rods and such. Some pretty deep discounts. I haven't fished the GP reel I purchased...but from holding it in my hand I love it. Seems to be a great quality reel. Great, because I bought 3 extra spools for it. Have them all loaded up with 9wt lines. Great setup. Anyway.....Albright has good products. Just fyi

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    If you can afford to, I would by an American made pair of SIMMS. They have a much more diverse range of sizes, and they are very rugged. I have a Pair of the new "headwaters" waders and they are very lightweight overall with a good measure of re-inforcement in the knee/shin area. They are a perfect fit and I am very pleased with them. Worth the extra $$$!

One of the keys to breathable wader longevity is Proper fit as previously mentioned, and a good drying routine between uses. I like to hang mine outside for a day upon returning from fishing. I hang them under the eve on my front porch, out of direct sunlight. Once dry, I hang them up on the back of my bedroom door, fully extended. That way they are not constantly being creased from laying folded in a bag somewhere. As air circulates in you home, they stay dry and supple. I learned this from a good friend that has always done this routine, and is currently on his 7th season on a pair of Hodgeman "Wadelights".

aa
    I fully agree with hanging waders instead of folding them up when not in use. I highly recommend that one not hang waders up by their suspenders for long periods as the rubber can be permanently stretched. Use a clothes line clips or suspend them up side down instead

Default A little off topic but wading related, nonetheless.

What about wading shoes? I've seen some made by frogg toggs, considering I'll most likely buy a pair of waders from them. And I've to say the Anura rubber-soles boots are good looking and non-expensive.

Down here in Colombia, South America, we don't have any legislation concerning invasive species or any of the sorts. However I pride myself for being a conscious fisherman and would like to buy whatever is best for our waters and our planet. Any of you are already using rubber instead of felt? What about those "sticky" rubber technologies that are being advertised all over the web?

Any other advise on wading boots will be very appreciated!!

Dave.
    Last edited by dphotoco; 06-28-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Bump bump!

Hey guys!

I've just came back from my 1st field testing on the frogg toggs waders.

Here are my impressions:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...non-sponsor%29

c'yal!!!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hise View Post
    Dave;
    You pose a difficult question for sure. I'm starting my 3rd year on a set of Hodgeman's from Bass Pro for 89 bucks. They've served me well on the average of 5 - 6 days a month.

To help make whatever wader you decide to buy last make sure they fiit properly. The inseam should be long enough to let you lift your foot high enough to reach the seat of kitchen chair. If you can't you'll blow out all the seams in no time!!

Also watch where you sit when taking a break from the action, fortunatly punctures can be easily patched.
    Jack,

I must agree with Ladyfisher, that's very good advice.
    I've been fishing a pair of breathable waders from L.L. Bean for the last couple of years.
    I'm not sure but they're probably their cheapest, $90.00 range?
    No problems yet. I probably only get to fish about 50 times a year and they work for me.
    They'll probably blow out on my Montana trip!!! Yikes!!!!

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I took a friends advice a while ago, which was buy the cheapest breathables you can. Because all breathables will eventually leak, and the differences can be too subtle to even worry about.

Not sure if I agree with him completely, because I would have liked hand warmer pockets... but I picked up some breathable allbrights that were on sale that I got for a steal at like 40 bucks a piece. I picked up 3 pairs Hahaha. I'm still on the first one, and I have abused the thing. Saltwater, thorns rocks, roll them up and used it as a pillow, etc etc. No leaks, no breaks in the seams... love em.

I did have a pair of Orvis gold waders (i think that was brand) I got them back in 1998 and I had to replace them in 2009, after they started seaping water in. no amount of aquaseal could stop the leak. I almost burned them and put them in an Urn I loved them so much.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

dphotoco, There are several brands of waders to choose from that start in the low budget range. check out the web NexTag.com. However, for
    waders and most everything you buy, you get what you pay for. I have waders by North X Northwest and when Steelhead fishing I have to ware
    fleese bottoms under my Levies to stay reasonable warn.

Crunchy

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin' Jimmy View Post
    Da! Da! I got 11 years out of my Orvis Siler labels. I am a float tuber, no barbed wire, You get what you pay FOR! My cost per year
    under $10. You do the Math.

Fishin' Jimmy

P.S. Barbed Wire always wins!!!
    Did your silver labels have the neoprenes that filled with water?? Not inside getting you wet, but outside filling up like a balloon. I had silver label 2's and that bugged the $@*)()* out of me!!

For the original poster, Simms is the one company that is a primarily wader company. For those on a income, did you look at LL bean? They have breathable waders (with gravel guards) at $59 and $99. And they will replace them for you forever! If you are by a LL BEAN you should definitely go in.
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/48790...1109-sub2&np=Y

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I think of waders like I do fly lines. It's not my last fly line or set of waders, just my next one. I want to buy a quality pair, Simms, Patagonia, Cloudveil but I want to find them on sale. I don't care if they were last year's model or not. I bought three sets of Patagonia Watermasters this year. Not the Watermaster light version either. The ones that retailed for $335. I paid between $105 and $110 for each set. All three came off of Ebay and all three still had the $335 price tag on them. Besides Ebay, places like Sierra Trading post and one of my favorites these days is Madison River. I think that Mad R has some nice Cloudveils on sale now. I want a high end product and I love paying less than half retail. Sometimes it not if I can afford it or not. The purchasing game is an adventure for me. I love to make great buys almost as much as I like to chase fish and if I can make great buys on fishing equipment all the better.

Rick
    Not sure if I would say a Chinese product is "high end"?

Nor am I really sure what Cloudveil's future is? You can buy Cloudveil products from the old company for about $120 to $160 for Gore Tex Chinese made waders, probably from various sources. Not sure if they have much of a warranty tho? Check out
    http://www.levelninesports.com/Cloud...ishing-Apparel

+ Reply to Thread