+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little Juniata, PA

Default Little Juniata, PA

Will be fishing the Little J in and around the town of Baree, PA from the 21st to the 25th. Anyone know what kind of hatches to expect or tips on what flies to bring? Will be staying at the Greene Hills camp site if anyone is in the area. Also is there good night fishing here w/ mice or large streamers?

thanks,
    john

there are 2 shops in the area, give them a call for up to date info

Spruce Creek Outfitters
    P.O. Box 36
    Spruce Creek, PA 16683
    814-632-309
    TCO Fly Shop Spruce Creek
    3880 Spruce Creek Rd
    Spruce Creek, PA 16683
    814-632-0053

And ask them about water temps!

It has been very HOT in PA recently with more of the same predicted. Even a few of the spring creeks are running close to, or in the 70's midday.
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 07-19-2010 at 07:55 PM.

Slate Drakes, Trico's, Olive & Tan Caddis....and midges:^)

Blog Entries

TCO Spruce Creek closed a year after opening, but their website has some stream conditions. try a cicada pattern when you hear them in the trees. and fish early--it's been far too hot for everyone lately and it's not fair to pull the fish out of the few cool places there are when the rest of the stream is over 70. thanks!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Ya I checked temps out for the last week yesterday. All above 70 during the day and some pushing 80. If I do wet a line it will be early morning or late at night. My 7 wt is gonna be getting some smallie action on the Big J I'm predicting.

Blog Entries

thank-you, vargoje3. responsible fishing is much appreciated! the Frankstown Branch at the Lower Trail bike trail access (where they're fixing the Rte 22 bridge) is said to have bass a-plenty, and it's close to where you're staying.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

nighthawk Guest

The Little J has a lot of browns in it and typical to their species they are night feeders. The guys are right about the daytime temps being just too hot but you should have some success taking a few browns late at night or wee hours of the morning. Here is a good link for you.

http://flyfishlittlejuniatariver.com/

I believe the TCO shop in State College is still open but there is another one right there also that has a lot of folks that fish the little J. Fly Fishers Paradise shop and forums are here:

http://www.flyfishersparadise.com/streams.php

Hope that helps along with the great advice you have been given by the others posting here.

I fished the Little J early Saturday morning.
    Water was low, a little murky and pushing 70.
    Not much activity, did have a few hits on a Royal Trude.
    We have had a little rain every day this week but , unfortunately not enough to have any effect on
    the flow.
    Casey is correct.
    I won't be fishing it again until the temps go down and the water comes up, at least not in the daylight.
    There are no atheist in a trout stream.

Well the fishing trip is over. Here is the tally. Only 7 small browns and 1 rainbow caught on the Little J. It was higher than usual and pretty muddy when I got there. Fished the Big J. for 5 straight days and took close to 30-40 smallmouth a day on a mixture of flies and occasionally live bait (love helgramites).

+ Reply to Thread