+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: My 2010 fishing report thread

Pretty dang good plan C if you ask me Sasha. Glad you got out in spite of it all and i notice the sun must have been out some of the time plus you got some nice fish, so there you go.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Today I decided to hit a creek that I have not been to since last August. My day started pretty early as this place is a bit of a drive from my house. A quick check of the forecast for that area showed that there was a 50% chance of rain with a high of 67F.

I packed the night before so I was able to pretty much get up and leave. The morning was pretty warm so I was looking forward to getting up into the mountains and cooler temperatures. I was making pretty good time on my drive up.

Unfortunately I was making a little too good of time. As I was closer to my destination I came around a corner. As the road straightened back out I see a sheriff?s SUV traveling in the opposite direction. Well at this point it was too late to slow down. Sure enough as we pass each other I look in the rear view to see his break lights come on. He then made a quick U-turn and sped up

I saw the lights come on and I pulled over. He approached my vehicle where I promptly handed him mu DL and CWL. I informed him that I had a loaded weapon. He handed me back my CWL and said ?Sir, I will make you a deal. You don?t show me your weapon and I won?t show you mine?. He then asked me what I was doing in this area. I replied ?I am on my way to fish ?BJAC creek?. He then said ?it sure is a beautiful morning to go fish?.

He took my DL, registration and proof of insurance back to his vehicle. After several minutes I see him exit his vehicle. He then says to me ?I am going to save you $85 and issue you a warning?. I replied ?Thank you officer?. He then said ?I am not sure if the bridge has been repaired since it washed out on ?BJAC? creek?. Then he said to be careful up there and to have a nice day.

About 25 minutes later I arrived at my destination. The air was nice and cool with a slight breeze. I though what a nice day; it sure beats the 80+ degree temps down the mountain. I got out of my car and geared up.

The creek was very high and looked a little different than I last remembered.

When I got down to the water; I sent my stimulator sailing towards its destination. It landed softly on the surface. After a short drift I saw the tell tale splashy rise from one of the resident native redbands. I set the hook and it was fish on. I landed fish and sent him on his way.

I resumed fishing. I was literally catching these fun feisty little guys every other cast.

After a little while and a lot of fish later I decided to check out another spot that interested me.

The results from this run were exactly the same as the place I started.

While I was fishing I felt the wind kick up a little, and the bright day started to dim. While I was releasing another fish I heard the tell tale rumble of thunder. I thought to myself ?I guess it is time for a lunch break?.

While I was eating the thunder subsided. I waited about 10 minutes, after hearing nothing I resumed fishing. I was having a blast when the rain decided to come in. I did not hear any thunder so I continued fishing. I just hooked a fish and I heard a loud crack, man this storm just will not give up. I released the fish and headed back towards my vehicle.

This time the storm did not let up the rain got heavier and the lightning got close and more frequent. As I had caught a lot of fish and had very fun day I decided to head back home.

I can?t wait till the water comes down a bit. This place is really fun and has a lot of awesome spots at lower flows. It was also good to see that there were ?larger? fish back in it. When I fished it last my buddy and I were only pulling out 6?-8? fish. I think I am going to give it a couple of weeks and head back.

Hope you enjoyed my report from ?BJAC creek?.

Sweet report man, and those pictures are crisp. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I need to learn how to use my new camera a little bit better though.

The day started early when my alarm woke me at 0300. I was on my way to pick up my buddy by 0330. After picking him up and getting a few things at the gas station store; we were on our way by about 0415.

The drive went by rather quickly as we BSed? about things. Once up in the mountains it was nice and cool. This was a nice change as the day before was 94F in the valley. The day before that was worse at 102F.

Once we made it to the road we wanted to take we noticed a sign that read ?Closed to low clearance vehicles?. Crap I knew I should have taken my other vehicle. Oh well let?s just see how bad the road is?.

Well after driving on it a bit we decided to turn around. I did not want to get close to our destination and have to turn around. We decided to go the other way to the river. It wasn?t that bad and we only lost about 30 minutes.

Once we made it to the river we found a spot and got out. We geared up and made our way down to the water.

After fishing this spot for a bit (and loosing quite a few ?flies?) we decided to move on.

The next place was a lot better looking. Up until this point we had not seen any fish on the river let alone any Chinook. I was fishing a spot and I saw a rather large fish break the surface. This gave me hope that there were fish in the river.

Unfortunately neither of us hooked up with any Chinook the entire day. At around 1500 we decided to pack up the heavy gear, head way up river; and use the lighter equipment to throw dries to trout. This ended up being the best decision of the day.

The area up river was a little more barren as there was a fire here.

We ended up coming across a pretty fun little run. It worked out well as the fish were holding on either side of the river. We were able to stand in the middle on a sand/gravel bar and fish both sides of the river.

There were plenty of little fish that were very willing to accept the stimulator that was floating by.

At around 1800 we decided to call it quits. We packed up and headed back home. After dropping my buddy off at around 2030 I headed home. Although we still have not managed to land any Chinook, I had a fun day.

Hope you enjoyed the report

Good thinking bringing the smaller gear along. Looks fun man. I need to get out and do a little more exploring.

It was a little different type of day today; you see my four year old son asked me to go fishing. This time I decided to take him creekin for the first time. After breakfast I packed the car, got my son in his booster seat and we were on our way.

The drive was fun as he was very excited to go fishing. He was asking me all kinds of questions; from what things were, to what fish we were going to catch. After a while we turned off on the dirt road and headed towards our destination. He commented that the road was fun (his had nothing at all to do with my driving whatsoever).

We arrived at the parking spot and got out. I grabbed my camera, rod and pack. He needed to use the restroom, good thing there is an outhouse at the trailhead.

As we hiked back into the spot we were going to fish I could tell he was having fun. He was asking all kinds of questions about bugs, plants and various things. He mentioned that he was having so much fun.

A little while later we arrived at the spot we were going to fish. I took my pack off, got my rod and reel out and began to get geared up. For today I decided to go with the ole trusty stimulator for guaranteed success.

My son said that he was a little hungry and thirsty so I set him up with some snacks and some water. He stayed right next to me as I made the first cast and sent my fly out into the water. The big bushy stimmie drifted and I saw a nice splashy rise. Unfortunately I missed the hook set on this guy. Oh well I thought and went right back at it. The next couple of casts all had the same result as the first.

My son asked me why I had missed the fish. I told my son that sometimes you miss when the fish eats the fly; he replied "its ok dad we will get some". I then sent my stimmie right up against the cliff face and there was a nice splash. I set the hook and it was fish on. When I landed this cool little redband my son said "see I told you dad".

We fished this one spot for a while catching a lot of nice little redbands. However as my son is only four we could only sit in one spot for so long.

Continued due to photos per post limit
    Last edited by Sasha; 07-15-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: For some reason the quotes were replaced with question marks

We decided to check out another area. At this point in the day my son was a bit more occupied by throwing rocks and playing. He was having a blast out there. I continued to fish, every time I would hook a fish he would come over and check it out.

We fished the creek till the early afternoon. When the time came to leave he was pretty sad and said that he wanted to stay. I told him that there would be other times. On the way home he told me how much fun he had. I was happy to hear that he enjoyed getting out into the "wild". Based on how he did on this trip I have a much better understanding of his limits and capabilities.

I hope you enjoyed the report.
    Last edited by Sasha; 07-15-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Same reason I had to edit my other post the " were replaced with ?

Nice Sasha. Really enjoyed the report. Seems like I've seen that wig some place before. Loved the t-shirt and wig photo. Looks like you've hooked the best thing of all, a new fishing partner. Thanks for sharing.

Beaver

Sasha, you rock as usual! Always a great trip when you can be on the water with the next generation. Thanks for sharing a great experience and super pics.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread