+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead me not into temptation!

Default Lead me not into temptation!

Background: I work at a lumber yard. Most of the time, I pull loads to deliver, help customers load up their materials, or deliver materials to job sites.

So I was out delivering some materials to a place in the country this morning... chickens running around eating bugs. This is always the case at this place; we deliver here frequently. However, today a couple of these chickens caught my eye. They were those "black laced" hens like Whiting sells.... The feathers are white in the middle with black around the edge. I ALMOST knocked one of 'em in the head and threw it in the truck with me!
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

quivira kid,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M268U...eature=related
    Hopefully this will help you get some nice feathers....lol
    Last edited by jeffro; 07-14-2010 at 04:52 AM.

If you deliver there frequently, talk to the owner. They may be willing to sell you a chicken for the pot, and could probably skin it out for you as well, as long as you have a place to dry it out.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

jeffro- that is FUNNY!

JeffHamm- These chickens are around for eggs. The lady of the house would probably skin ME for asking! haha I am happy to pay a fly tying supplier for their time and effort, and if I really wanted some of these feathers I'd buy from them. That's how they stay in business!

Zac
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

Back when I was in grade school, my friend's father had a farm with beautiful roosters with long brown hackles on them that were absolutely perfect for big Atlantic Salmon dry flies just running around the yard. We used to put the chickens head under its wing and then rock it back and forth which put it to sleep, then bring head back out, snip off what we wanted for the afternoon /evening tying, then leave. The father never missed a few hackles, but one day we needed a few extras and the poor thing was almost bald by the time "daddy" got home.

Needless to say we had to be careful after that.........so we wouldn't get caught borrowing feathers.

I've hypnotized a chicken before, it's so much fun! I have an urge to go out to the coop now.

Fishin' squirt
    "Tell me and I forget,
    Teach me and I remember,
    Involve me and I learn."

~~Benjamin Franklin~~

Maybe you could ask them to pick up and feathers that fall out and save them for you?

Skip

If this chicken farmers knew the selling price of hackle, they would flood the market. I had the "pleasure" of inspecting an egg producing farm several years ago. I was surprised to learn when chicken pass their prime they are killed and composted. It is not profitable to process the meat. I thought that was a shame, I am not again eating a tasty animal but waste really bugs me.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Uncle Jesse I can assure you that there is not much waste involved in throwing out old laying hens. Many years ago my aunt lined up a deal to buy a big batch of them for ten cents each. My dad and my grandmother said they wanted in too so we all worked a long day plucking and gutting all of those hens. There was literally no meat on them. We gave them all to my grandmother who made a big batch of broth and then threw out the carcases which were just skin and bone.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I guess that explainsa lot about why they are not harvested for the food. I know hand processing chicken is a lot of work, although I was a little young I remember when I lived on a farm as a child my mother killing, plucking and cleaning chickens. We didn't have a freezer then so it was done on a need to eat basis. A child doesn't have an appreciation for the quality of food but that was probably the best tasting chicken I have ever eaten. You got me thinking back on those times, fresh pork tenderloin, fresh spicy sausage and probably my favorite salt cured smoked ham and bacon.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread