+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wade fishing the Bighorn River in mid-August

Default Wade fishing the Bighorn River in mid-August

Looking for any help or suggestions for wade fishing the Bighorn in mid to late August.
    Access, rv campsites, flies, etc.

Thanks for any help!

PM me if you prefer.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

you can go to the boat ramp below the dam, walk 5 minutes down stream to "The lunch counter" which is a big shallows and you'll stay busy with big rainbows and browns all day - I can give you more info if you're interested.
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Thank you Jim.

I will send you a personal message.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

About the only convenient place to camp is a place called Cottonwood Camp. It is a couple of miles from Yellowtail/Fort Smith. Nice place to camp and they accommodate both camping and RV's -- good idea to call and make a reservation. They also have some cabins that can be rented. Guides are pentiful but make reservations ahead of time if you want to do a drift.

As for the fishing, I have not waded the river there as I take my drift boat and usually fish the river about this time of year when it is a little higher and wading not so easy. The above recommendation sounds good.

You could probably also fish out of a pontoon boat and have the best of both worlds -- arranging for a shuttle at one of the fly shops in Fort SMith/Yellowtail (depends on which side of the street you are on -- one side is Fort Smith; the other side is Yellowtail.

When I fished it last, scuds, Ray Charles, and San Juan Worms were the ticket. Check with the local shops when you are there to see what you need to use. I would wait and buy my flies there.

I will say this, the fishing is great.

By the way, the Big Horn is pretty close to Custer's Battlefield National Monument -- about 30 minutes away -- and well worth spending the better part of a day there checking it out if you have such an interest.

Good luck and have fun

Thanks for the info Orthoman!

We will be visiting the Battlefield. I understand that it is quite thought-provoking?

Bob

Without a doubt, the battlefield will give the entire prespective on what happened. Once you see it you can only imagine what they must have been thinking. They didn't have a chance. Be sure and take the tour given by the Indians.

Robert, spent a week out there @ Ft.Smith Fly Shop & Cabins. they are great people and great home cooked food. That river is just over the top for plain big numbers of hard fighting fish. I believe that the hoppers are already on ,and i know for sure they will be on when you are there.
    Otherwise , its ray charles, tan & grey , psuedo baetis, zebra midges and black caddis. if you need help pm me
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Here's the map i mentioned:

bighorn river map.jpg
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Quote Originally Posted by jimmadsen View Post
    Here's the map i mentioned:

Attachment 5256
    Thanks for taking the time Jim!

I appreciate it!

Bob

Don't forget to use the "bighorn shuffle" method of catching large rainbows. Some people might look down on that but I've caught a lot of large trout doing that in the Big Horn.

+ Reply to Thread