+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Umpqua Guide Fly box

Default Umpqua Guide Fly box

Anyone get to try one of these out yet? What did you think of them?

Rodney

I've got the big one. I bought it as a bulk storage box. I do the tying for three guys when we go to the driftless region so I need to carry a LOT of flies. This one box has enough slots to replace the four boxes I was carrying. We each carry smaller boxes that hold enough flies to get us through the day, then in the evening we resupply out of the big box. So far it's working great.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Thanks Bluegill, have you noticed any memory problems in the foam slits. What I mean by that is if you have a bigger size fly in a slot and you remove it and replace it with a smaller size fly does the foam slit hold the smaller fly without it falling out of the slot? I had some problems with this in the C&F boxes.

funny thing, have you ever noticed a working guides box???? they tend to carry alot of small plastic el cheapo boxes that are more workman like than "display boxes"
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

I haven't found a foam box yet that didn't have at least a little bit of a memory issue, but this one seems to be doing pretty well. I don't have any real big flies in it though, a few #12's but nothing bigger, so I can't really say one way or the other.

flybugpa-- yeah, I've noticed that, too. But like I said, this is the box we fill our little boxes out of each day. If I have a full box at camp that will hold several hundred flies and keep them organized, I spend more of my stream time fishing and less tying flies.

Thanks guys, 90% of the flies I use are size 16 and smaller unless its a nymph or streamer. I have my flies in small clear compartment style boxes, they work great, the only problem is that if I decide to go swimming while fishing the flies in these boxes get soaked, the guide boxes claim to be waterproof but we all know how some claims can be. Thanks again.

Rodney

Mine's been rained on and stayed dry, but it hasn't been submerged. Yet. With 16's and smaller I haven't had any memory problems.

+ Reply to Thread