+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Fish, Lady Fishers "Memories"

Default First Fish, Lady Fishers "Memories"

Hi All,

Lady fisher suggested we start a post on the first fish we ever caught. (I didn't catch on to that idea the first time through her article.)

My uncle took my younger brother and I fishing, along with my cousin, to a pond a few miles from town, and on that day my brother and we each caught a bluegill.

My bluegill was caught on a small popper, I think it was probably a #14. I don't remember the color, but it was probably red and white. Our aunt fried the bluegill, probably pretty small ones, for us.

That was about 50 years ago, and a very good memory, but I remember it clearly.

Regards,

Gandolf

Can't remember the first fish caught - My Dad would tell me my Grandpa took me before I could walk to a trout farm. I barely remember the place. It was called Silverwood Ranch - i believe it was close to Riverside Calif, but not sure.

I do remember my first fish caught on a fly. I was about 11 - 12 years old and would watch Gadabout Gaddis the Flying Fisherman on TV wave his rod around and catch fish on a fly. I had to try it. I begged the parents for an outfit and sure enough one Christmas came rod, reel, and fly tying kit. I tied a Royal Coachman (sort of ) then the next trip my dad took me to a place outside of Boumont called Fisherman's Retreat. That's where I taught myself to cast (sort of) and caught my first Bluegill. I have loved the Bluedill on the Fly ever since. That would be since the early 60's.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

My first was a cutthroat trout on Middle Creek about a half hour from home. Got it on a nightcrawler. Fishing with my dad and younger brothers. That was in the early 60's.

Rocky

Well in the late 50's, on Pine MT. in Beaver Creek South of Rock Springs just over the CO border. It was on a small Colorado spinner in some beaver ponds, DUH. I was with my Dad and brother.
    I believe it was a brookie, I remember it seemed huge at the time. First fish on a fly was in Big Sandy Lake in the summer of 1970 july I think. Another brookie, don't remember the size or the fly. I think I was by my self for this one. I had walked in for the day to try out the new Eagle claw pack rod and try to learn to flyfish.
    Last edited by Byron Zuehlsdorff; 07-11-2010 at 12:18 PM.
    Wyo-Blizzard

july 1949 i was almost 5 years old, salmon falls creek reservoir idaho, steel telescoping rod that was way long, pfleuger trump reel with ruby brearings, braided black nylon line no leader but for the snell on the hook tied to the line with a couple half hitches and a knot in the end of the line., red and white balsa bobber, big old night crawler. all that for a 4" yellow perch.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    I can't say about fly fishing but there's a lot of feed lots in Kansas.
    Wes' Pattern Book
    http://www.flypatternbook.net

The first fish I remember catching were bluegills with worms. Just me and dad.

First fish on a fly was about 4 years ago at Cedar Bluff reservoir "Stilling Basin". A little 4" bluegill on a #12 black beetle, that I tied up, in the middle of the day.
    The Green Hornet strikes again!!!

I can't remember my first fish but I it was probably a yellow perch off of the Grand haven pier. Dad would take my brothers and I to the pier with long cane poles sticking out the windows of the car and must have spent most of his time baiting hooks and unhooking fish.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

a baby flounder out of the creek we lived on where it went under the road and into the bay. the hook had passed through the nose of the fish (the bait was long gone, eaten by something else) and to this day no one believes me...
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

I'm hoping more will post on this string - wonderful stuff!
    Hugs,
    LF

Blog Entries

6" trout from a coastal steam in Oregon 42 years ago, man that fish tasted good.
    first fish on a fly, blue gill, on a size 12 black ant, cast the ant under a pond side willow and have been hooked ever since.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread