+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help seeing things up close on the stream

Question need help seeing things up close on the stream

Even with the best light on the stream I still need to see things up close. This last weekend I pulled my reading glasses out of my pocket and was horrified to see that they were smudged. I must have spent 5 minutes trying to tie on the derned fly.
    So here is my question...
    There are the clip on magnifiers for your hat (the ones that fold down) but I'm wondering how well they work in practice. ????

I use them. They work for me even over sunglasses. One nice thing about them is even in cold weather they are already acclimatized to the outside air temp and won't fog up like readers can if kept in your pocket where it is nice and warm.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I love mine. Tucks up under my hat nicely when not in use and can be quickly deployed for when tying on hooks and dealing with @#$^&* tangled tippet. lol
    Trout don't speak Latin.

RainX might keep your reading glasses dry and clear until you get you a fold up Magnifier.
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

Jill,
    I use them regularly and I like them. You don't have to mess around with digging your readers out of your pocket, etc..... Try several different magnifications to see what suits you best. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Jill - GREAT QUESTION - I've been thinking of posting the same one since I'm finally starting to admit that I need reading glasses (not easy to admit) and didn't know if the little flip down glasses would work...good to know they do!

Thanks everyone!
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Not only do they work, but I couldn't survive a day on the water without them. For me, tangled tippets, wind knots & small hook eyes demand them.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Also, if you wear a fedora type hat and don't like the extra weight of the them hanging from your front brim, you can put them on the back brim and turn your hat around when you need them.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

I have a good friend who only needed reading glasses so I found out what strength he needed and got him a pair of the cap bill magnifers which he loved but havig the folded under the bill of his cap bothered him so he kept them ont he top of his cap bill and would put them underneath to use them until he dropped them. They don't float. If you wear sunglasses, which you should, there are magnifer that fit on the lense and turn them into bifocals that work well I am told.
    The state of GA says I should wear my glass anytime I appear in public pretty much so its not an issue with me.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Jill,
    After Jesse's post it reminded me that I also regularly use a pair of AO/Smith sunglasses that are bifocals. They are expensive but work very well. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

+ Reply to Thread