+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Polarised Glasses

Default Polarised Glasses

Hi guys, I am looking for advice on a new pair of polarised glasses, I have a pair of Bolle Boomslang at the moment but they although they have good lenses for spotting fish, the overall build quality is really bad. So far, the lenses have fallen out more than once, the rubber has come away from the legs, and just the other day the rubber nose grips turned to putty (no chemicals have come in contact with them, including sun lotion), so any pointers would be gratefully received.

------------------
    Born to fish, forced to work.

I think Maui Jims have the best lenses, but they are heavy. They are also pretty durable. I have been wearing a pair of Smith polarized and though the lenses aren't as nice as the Jims they stay on my face better. I almost can't wear the Jims anymore after a year of wearing the lightweight ones. It all comes down to ones that fit you well and are within your budget. You only get one set of eyes, so you might as well buy some good sunglassed to protect them.

Im all about the smith's they fit my head better than most other glasses..now all I need it some low light amber colored ones...

------------------
    Blaino
    Arcata/Redding CA

Pretoria, Gauteng, Republic of South Africa

wiley x has some awesome all purpose glasses. all polarised with interchangeable lenses as well a it take prescription lenses. gasket seals your eyes from water spray and dust.

check out alloutlenses.co.za

don't know the american website but this is the south african one. here in sunny south africa thee glasses exploded onto the fly fishing scene due to the versatility.

keep 'em reelin'

I just bought a pair of Native brand from the local Sportsman's warehouse. they have interchangeable lenses, lightweight, and are great for fishing with the polarized lenses.

There are a few good suppliers of fishing glasses out there. Over the years I've spent a lot of time on the water fishing with Action Optics and have been very pleased with them. My only complaint on the AA's is that the frames seem VERY fragile. I've only ever broken 2 pairs of frames and both were AA Padres. Not impressed there as they don't seem to hold up well. Other models may perform dirfferently. No doubt though that AA makes some good specs.

A couple years ago a good friend gave me a pair of Maui Jim Volcano's as a gift for supplying him with some offshore flies. I fell in love with them. They fit great and work well for me. They are a mirrored gray lens so that's what I wear with bluewater fishing on sunny days.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up 2 pairs of Orvis's new Hydrovision glasses. One with gray lenses and one with the green mirrored amber lenses. I sure love the way they fit and feel and the look pretty nice as well. I'll get a chance to break them in on the flats off Key Largo and Islamorada on the 20th and 21st so we will see how I like them once I get some time with them but I think they are going to be the cats meow. The guys at Orvis tell me that these are the finest lenses they have ever offered in any glasses.

Bottom line . . . I don't think you can go wrong with these companies.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

fishon didn't mention that the Natives have a killer gaurantee....unconditional for everything but loss....that includes scratches....my son is on his 4th pair....you do need to send $20 for "S&H"

I've been using a pair of Action Oprics Aviators for 4 years now without problems. I also use them for driving. Great glasses!

i just bought a pair of native sunglasses, their silencer style. first pair i've owned that ever fit. the warrenty is awesome and the extra lenses are very convenient.
    [url=http://www.nativeyewear.com/:1e90c]http://www.nativeyewear.com/[/url:1e90c]

[This message has been edited by action599 (edited 13 February 2006).]

Action, I just checked out their website and one thing puzzles me, are all the lenses in the set polarized?

------------------
    Born to fish, forced to work.

+ Reply to Thread