+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Purists don't look, but bass anglers, take a peek

Blog Entries

Those are some unusual flies too. What do you call them? They look like trout flies.

Don't you increase the risk of striking the tip section of your rod throwing those things? What do you do to prevent or protect?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Sweet ! They work very well thats for sure. I caught a 22" big bow on a 6" Black/purple with EP fibers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    Don't you increase the risk of striking the tip section of your rod throwing those things? What do you do to prevent or protect?
    Learning to cast with the rod tilting downwind (if there is any crosswind) and to the side at least 10 degrees or so is a big help... It tends to reduce scars, too...

Default Pete's Prop Fly

There is one propeller fly pattern in the "Fly Of The Week" archives, it is Pete's Prop Fly, by Pete Parker of Indian Hills CO. Pete also has another "Fly of the Week" pattern in the archives it is "Pete's Slider". Both are very effective fly patterns, for catching any big fish that you have in mind to go after. ~Parnelli

ppfly.jpg
    Pete's Prop Fly

sliderfly.jpg
    Pete's Slider

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    I have not used these yet. I think a side-arm cast would be the way to go. That is what I do when it is windy and I don't want to catch a hook, instead of a fish.

Blog Entries

Thanks Steven. I like the Prop Fly. I had planned on making some more propeller type flies in the near future. I tried to add a bead on the spinner flies I had, but I didn't have a bead big enough. I like a bead behind a propeller too. The only problem with that is, you have to be careful not to push the propeller in so tight tying it in that the propeller won't spin right, or worse yet...to hang over the hook eye too much.

Blog Entries

Okay here are a few more.

I've been tying these for years and are excellent for everything from pike to brookies and panfish!
    All blades are same chromed type i have a way of changeing the colors to whatever i want em to be... but they can be tailed with anything from deer tail,artic fox,Raccoon body fur,Black bear....the list is endless for whatever effects you want, slide the clevis and blade right on the shank of typical sz.6 streamer hook with straight eye...n tye on your tail of choice. leader twist... yeah some but i just use a straight chunk of 8 to 14 lb mono with a berkley fireline leader and replace as needed.. it's worth the effort! some of those tails were much thicker when first tied
    Last edited by billknepp; 07-04-2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: to add a tad more info
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Blog Entries

I am glad to hear you have had good luck with spinner flies. I would LOVE to see your picture enlarged...I can't make out what you have there. Spinner flies have been around for a long time, I was just trying to try them out for myself. I usually have decent luck with spinners when I use them in conventional tackle. I know a man who ties them for stripers, and he loves them. Anyway, please enlarge photo for us, or I would love to have one sent to me in pm if you would rather.
    Kelly

+ Reply to Thread