+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Who Uses Furled or Twisted Leaders?

As I said, just my experience with the loop to loop, but more so with a mix of material, such as UNI thread to a fluoro or mono tippet.
    I can make 10 to 12 foot Tenkara's and yes they are two sections, and yes they are connected with a loop to loop, but it is the same material, maybe that is the problem.
    I also make the loops VERY small when connection them, and I furl the whole thing again when done.
    I tried Guetermann and it is just too hefty for my liking. I use UNI 6/0 and even 8/0 on my tenkara.
    I also do the 7-5-3, but also a 9,7,5 with the thinner material and it comes out so supple. I use the 60% equations allot also, it is great taper.
    I think you need to let me send you a sample and vise versa. I fish for trout, but anywhere from a 2 wt to an 8 wt. with 6 wt being the normal in the summer.

Mr. aged sage
    I don't know you , but questioning my personal experience I find a bit offensive
    Surfice to say I'm not new

I'm not one to 'jump on the band wagon' which may explain why I'm in the minority (at least in this thread) in not being a huge fan of the fueled leader.
    There is no "errors in my comment " It's all based on my own experience.

When I first tried a furled leader, the thing that impressed me most was that I was not impressed.
    From what I'd seen on this board, I expected the furled leader to be far superior to what I was using.
    It was not.
    For those that enjoy furling.... I can certinly understand that. Tying knotted leaders sucks.
    But the fact is that you can tie a knotted leader in just a few minutes (at least I can), it takes no special equipment, there's an infinite number of formulas you can tie...... and they work as well or better than any other leader you can buy or make
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Ladies and Gents,

Keep it civil or it will get clamped down.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Boys and Girls- REE is right. This site has been quite open to varying opinions for some time; but I know they want very much to keep the Forums a place where opinions can be shared, without acrimony. Let's all be aware that words can sometimes wound, and such words have no place in a civil community. Nuff said?

Chuck

aged sage- I wasn't referring to you directly. I was making a more general statement. I'm sorry if you took it personally, as I did not intend that. Shake hands?

Chuck

And I am still trying to figure out the "LADIES" part of that....I am about the only lady still on this post and I wasn't aware I was out of line....well maybe thread LOL

Aged Sage,

Usually, when a thread starts to go south, a warning like I posted is enough to get things back on track and the thread continues. If not, then the individual responsible is contacted in person and given a more stern warning. I used the Ladies and Gents to avoid pointing a finger at anyone in an open forum. Should you find a problem with this method of trying to keep things civil, then I suggest you contact the publisher, Deanna Travis, with your complaint.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Ron- I have a feeling tempers have cooled down. Onward and upward!

Chuck

I've been using furled leaders since the Idaho Fish-in of 02. Bought my first ones there. Haven't used any other kind since.

rw
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

After following this thread for several days I think I know how/why Lefty came up with his "Kansas Feed Lots" quote. Forgive me REE the Devil made me do it

I will now go burn all my poorly made, inferior furled leaders so as not to taint the purity of those blessed by whoever!!

Just my 2 cents!!

+ Reply to Thread