+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ever Get That Sinking Feeling ?

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Default Ever Get That Sinking Feeling ?

What we have here is the primary inflation valve from one of our float tubes. Note the hole in the polyurethane bladder where it's supposed to be mounted.

So ya', I had an interesting outing on Monday. The upside, I'm posting this and I didn't get all that wet. The sucker simply fell off of the bladder. It didn't come loose, it flat out - fell off. The only thing that kept all the air from escaping all at once, was the remaining pressure pressing the valve base between the skin and bladder.

Another fine example of American ( Boise, Idaho ) engineering and manufacturing prowess.

Yes, that tube always has an inflatable life vest stored in the upper backrest pocket.

Other than that, it was a pretty good day.
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave E; 07-01-2010 at 07:22 PM.

That is a pretty serious looking hole in the bladder. I have had doughnut tubes with inner tubes in them leak down on me but never a hole of that dimension. I am just glad people aren't sending condolences to your family after that. I am also glad that my tube and toon have two bladders.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Okay, so inquiring minds want to know, what brand and how long have you had it? Oh yes, and have you contacted them?
    Glad you are alright!
    Hugs,
    LF

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Hi LadyFisher,

I can understand your interest as you might understand my initial zinger about American craftsmanship.

I'm going to be purposely evasive in answering your questions, because I believe it to be a rare anomaly and I've been working it through the system, including the manufacturer ( who responded today with a couple of possible fixes ) and my L.F.S. who are excellent customer advocates.

At this point I look at this as a cautionary tale about what can happen while tubing and as a reality check about potential hole size and how long it could take for a tube to loose enough air to no longer offer adequate floatation. Obviously there are many variables, distance, rate of pressure loss and load.
    I found it interesting that internal air pressure of the bladder created enough force to keep the detached valve seated well enough ( debatable ) for me to make it in ( low and slow ) with a minimum amount of sloshing around.

My wife / angling partner managed to cover the hundred yards or so in her tube and pulled up alongside for the kick in. Once in, I packed up the whole mess and carried it back around the lake to our launch point, with the exception on my fins and rod, which my wife carried across the lake on her tube.

I can't emphasize this enough, at no point was I ever concerned for my safety. The backrest bladder was completely filled, my inflatable life vest was inches away, my partner was Johnny on the spot, the breeze was light, the water was still and lastly, I'm at home in the water.

For now, let me see where this road goes.
    Thank you, Dave

Last edited by Dave E; 07-02-2010 at 04:09 AM.

Outcast Fishcat 4 deluxe Float tube has two separate bladders plus one each in the seat and backrest.
    chances of all 4 deflating at the same time are slim (unless another shot comes from the grassy knoll )
    One reson I bought a Fishcat 4

Glad you made it safely.

I have the Fish Cat 4 LCS with two large blocks of foam, which occupies a much larger volume than a foam PFD. I feel pretty secure also, but I also wear an inflatable PFD, what can I say, I'm a safety geek.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread