+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7.5' 3wt Recommendations

Check out: Building Fly Rods from Forecast E-Glass Ultralight Spinning Blank By Jim Flamming, Grand Rapids, MI - August 6th, 2007 : http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...cast/rc457.php

I built several of these little 3 wt.s, and they were nice, very inexpensive little rods. Not the best ever, but more than servicable; and cheap enough to give a way, if ya' ran into a kid with a hankerin' to learn.

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    I like the St Croix avid in the 7'9" 3wt. Not all that fond of the avids in the longer lenght's/wts but the 793 is dialed-in on the med side of med-fast. Very sweet casting, American made, and stealthy for those mountain brookies. The extra 3", and the slightly slower action lends itself to a good roll caster in those tighter creeks...

aa
    Yes. Everything he said about the 793 Avid. Exactly.
    +1

+1 on the Redington CT. I have the 5wt and it is sweet and smooth as butter....I can only imagine that the 3wt is the same.

also,

+1 on the Echo classic from a few years ago. This, I do have and won't be purchasing another 3wt for a long long time (unless I can find a Diamondglass). It's a great rod, nice moderate action, and surprising amount of butt strength.
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    I recommend the 7 1/2 foot, 3wt, 3 piece Cabela's Three Forks Fly Rod ($50.00 - does not include a case)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

You can a combo (rod, reel, line, leader, but no case) for $80.00

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

I have been really pleased with mine.

Vinny
    I bought one of the combo's that was mentioned above.
    Came with a nice (free), assortment of flies (32 of'em), I'm new to fly fishing so I don't know all the tech. stuff. What I do kno is it works for me. The action is a lot slower than the three forks 6wt. that I have had for about 10 years (didn't start trying to figure all of this stuff out till this past April).
    I have found that I HAVE to pay more attention to my casting with the 3wt. But ... that's ok.

Remember, the shorter the rod gets, the stiffer it gets. So. For a small 3 wt. like that I would prefer a more medium rod, not medium-fast. I like the Winston WT or BIIt and the original Scott G. The TFO finesse is a good suggestion and the Redington CT is also probably also a good choice. Also, the Orvis Superfine Trout Bum (old version) would be good. The Winston BIIt would be my first choice in graphite (spendy). BUT, having said all this, I would suggest you look at glass. Softer, more feel, more durable. I have the Diamondbglass 7' 3 wt. and it's wonderful. There are lot's of good glass rod makers now. TFO made some glass rods, Murphy's new company in Florida makes some, some old Lamiglas around, Johnson, Stephen Bros, McFarland, etc.

+ Reply to Thread