+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vancouver, WA

Default Vancouver, WA

Can you fish this time of year in Vancouver, WA. I may need to take a trip there for work.

What for and what should I bring for artillery?

e

ep, ...

We have an office in VA WA, ... I'll give a shout to the boyz and see what's hot

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:95151]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:95151]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:95151]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:95151]
    Christopher Chin

I'm not in the NW right now, but I know the rains have really pelted the heck out of the rivers lately. Does anyone on the board know how the Wind River is holding out? What about heading across the border to Oregon and fishing one of the coast streams? They can clear up pretty fast but I don't know about the season on trout? You are heading to fly fish heaven, I hope you can connect. Jonezee

The rivers here in SW Washington are sdtarting to drop and clear, finally, though more rain is in the forcast.

There are still winter run steel in the river systems, if that's your choice then I'd suggest a 7 or 8 wgt rod. Been a long time since I fished for winter runs with a single hander. I usually use a two hader 9 wgt for salmon and steelhead.

Resident cutts are still good fishing and a rare sea run cutt in the fresh water. A 4 or 5 wgt is ample for those fiesty fish.

REE

By the way. In addition to the info alreay requested (and thanks for the responses) I'm open to guide recommendations.

e

Pretty lean pickings right now in the trout department. There's a few lakes close in that have some stocked fish and the ones that provide a better (?) fishing experience fish best using a personal watercraft. Almost no stream fishing for trout close by (most everything is closed til June 1st).

You can chase chrome on a few rivers in the area. Flows are the most critical aspect this time of the year.

If you're looking to retain a steelhead you're probably better served fishing the Kalama or Cowlitz as they have a late hatchery run. The Kalama is closer to Vancouver than the Cowlitz and is only about a 30 minute drive + a little time for driving up the Kalama River Rd.

Most the other rivers in the area have seen the bulk of the brat run come and go and are starting to get their wild winter run fish in (which must be released) but if you're just looking for the chance to get into chrome then you have some good options.

The N. Fork Lewis is a tailwater fishery and its flows are being held too high for fly fishing right now. Your upper threshold for fly fishing is probably around 6K cfs with under 4K being a lot better. Right now its running 7600 cfs. Depending on rain fall amounts it might be in shape when you come out.

The E.Fork Lewis offers you bank and float access. Ditto the Washougal. These streams (and the Kalama) react fast to rains so you really need to keep an eye on the flows.

The Wind doesn't have a lot going on right now and most of that is a boat and gear show at the mouth.

You also have some trout fishing opportunities South of the Columbia (Oregon).

I'd give the nod to a 9 1/2 foot 8wt stick, if you have one, as it will give you just a little more umph if you happen to get into a hot wild fish. You'll also be able to deal with heavier flows a little easier.

Hang a VersaTip on it and you'll be able to effectively cover 90+percent of the water around here.

Shoot me an email prior to your coming out and I can give you some more details if you want.

~w

+ Reply to Thread