+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do you "rough it?"

Default Why do you "rough it?"

30' housetrailers nothwitstanding, why do y'all "rough it. Do you do it to save money or do you actually enjoy the obvious inconveniences . I propose this question without any personal implications whatsoever. When I was in college, finances dictated and I did a whole bunch of "roughing it". Currently I'm NOT inclined to do the tent scene but I can't say I will nevermore ( qoth the raven).
    So what is it that causes YOU to "rough it"?

Mark

Marco
    We got our 26 foot trailer about 2 years ago, and use it as much as possible. We love our trailer it nice to have and RV park are located just about every where but if we have to we own a genarator and can dry camp.
    Ghost

Can't take a 26 foot trailer down this road. Well, you could but I wouldn't want to.

So, pickup with canopy works fine and I can carry this guy back there also without worrying about things getting trashed.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

GreyGhost,
    But can I accept the testimonial of someone who claims MILWAUKEE is in OREGON ? Who are you running from??

Mark
    PS: Kerry, but can he carry stuff?

Mark. When I was a kid WWII had just ended and camping out was all our parents to afford. It got to be the norm. I really enjoyed camping out until a few years ago. Now the weather has to be nice or a motel or camper for me. I bought a SUV so I could sleep in it but haven't have chance to try it out yet.

Tim

Marco
    Milwaukie is in Oregon but Milwaukee is not, got to rememeber we spell it right with an ie not ee. Me run, one I am to old to run and I have only run form people better armed then me or somthing bigger, (I am 6 feet 7inch, due to age and gravity and a few operation minus 2 inches) so something bigger is not offten. Kerry I dont need to take the trailer down that road, if there is an RV park with in 50 mile I can park it and take my truck down that road.
    Ghost.

Blog Entries

too broke to for anything else, however I love the sound of birds, bugs, the wind etc. and I never have a drunk in the room above me in a tent. So I think I will keep the tent and add some good cots.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I'll camp if it provides the best access to good hunting/fishing but camping just to camp doesn't appeal to me. Kinda like saying I have a perfectly good home/apartment to live in but I'll go sleep in the woods for a couple nights. Now if you don't have a good place to stay it's a different story but I'm blessed so camping only sounds appealing when it puts me close to something I can't find closer to home or close to a motel/hotel.

Personally, I love sleeping in a tent unless it is stinking hot and dead calm. I love cooking simple food over a fire. Simple is best. A must have campsite luxury is a nice hammock, though.
    The most valuable thing I've learned about fly fishing is just how little I really know.

"With integrity, nothing else matters. Without integrity, nothing else matters." ~ Winston Churchill

Blog Entries

It really depends on how long I intend to be out. The longer the camp stay, the more likely I am to set the tents up. Yes, plural. When I was a boy, Dad and I would go to summer camp and 'build' our camp. We usually wound up with many amenities other campers did not have like a shower, elevated beds, and much more all lashed together from found wood. It was our way of showing off our camping skills. We had some really cool camps. We even built an elevated campfire one year so cooking was done without having to bend over. We NEVER used a stove for extended camps, always cooked over a fire. I still like to start a campfire with flint & steel once in a while, and I don't mean cheating with a magnesium fire starter.

These days, I set up the 18 x 10 two room tent for just me if I will be out for at least 3-4 nights. Cot, folding nightstand, etc in one room and an inflatable couch and a couple of camp chairs in the other for visitors. Shower tent which also holds a port-a-potty as I do not like making long hikes to find a latrine at night and the camp kitchen is comfortable to use and efficient. Naturally, there is a shelter with more camp chairs available to enjoy the camp in. This camp setup is an exercise in showing just how little you need to sacrifice when 'roughing' it.

I have a smaller tent I use for shorter stays, but will either sleep under the stars or in a cabin for a single night out. Always a cabin during the winter.

I am seriously considering building a teardrop trailer for the shorter trips. The only drawback I can see to a teardrop is that I can't stand up inside to pull my pants on in the morning. I have an idea to fix that issue, though.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread