+ Reply to Thread

Thread: epoxy thread (Flex Coat)

Blog Entries

Default epoxy thread (Flex Coat)

I just got some Flex Coat Rod Wrapping Finish. I was determined that I was going to give epoxy one more try before calling it quits. There were just a few bubbles, and I think the fly I put it on may actually turn out good. Hurray! I had all but given up. Then I watched a man use epoxy at the Texoma Tie In. The secret for me is to not take the mixing stick off of the epoxy, and to mix slowly. I am thrilled. My question is this...how long does this stuff take to cure so I can touch it? (approx time) I am attempting some of George Glazener's spin type flies for stripers. I am also adding glitter nail polish to the blade (top side only), and then giving a light coat of epoxy. That is not easy to do when the blade wants to flip around on you.

I use Flex Coat in rod building and it is a very good product, but it takes at least four hours to dry to the touch. I'm not sure what problems you're having with epoxy? If you're having problems with too many bubbles in the epoxy, you might want to consider buying or building a mixer. It's simply a small motor that runs at about 18 rpm that holds a plastic cup at an angle. Add the two parts of the epoxy to the plastic cup and put a stainless steel ball bearing in the cup. As it rotates, the ball bearing stays at the bottom edge of the cup and mixes the epoxy with virtually no bubbles. If you do a Google search on epoxy mixer you will see a photo of what I'm talking about. They are not very difficult to make. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

Blog Entries

That is an idea, thank you. They have one at Cabelas for 34.99. I will see how this looks, but I think I will keep practicing with doing this by hand. Making one looks fairly easy. I made a fly turner, and it was not super easy for me, but I did it. Thanks for your thoughts, I will consider it for the future if I am still having trouble. But at least I am happy with the fly I made so far. I will know if it is non-tacky that I did it right for once, with virtually no bubbles but a couple.

Normand Guest

i would have used one of the new uv light curing adhesives. no mixing, no bubbles and you can add glitter to it

Blog Entries

I have Bug Bond, and like it a lot. I just didn't want to waste it using trials on a new fly pattern. (this one is time consuming) I did just finish using Bug Bond on one of these flies. It worked really good. This is the second one I made like this. I hope to do two more today.

You might want to check this site out. It might be what you're looking for.
    http://www.clearcuregoo.com/

Blog Entries

Thanks but the Bug Bond is like the CCG, it is a UV cured epoxy type product. It dries non-tacky, and is flexible too.

+ Reply to Thread