+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighted Flys and 3 wt

Default Weighted Flys and 3 wt

I have previously fished with 5-7 wt outfits and this winter I have purchased a 3 wt rod and reel. Here in the Mideast I will not go to the stream until late March to use the 3 wt. My question is how do beaded nymphs or other weighted 12-16 flys cast with the light outfit? The majority of my casting is in the 30-50 ft range.

within those perameters you will do fine. Consider using a 7 1/2 foot leader instead of a 9 foot. You might be chucking it some with the #12, but I fish those three sizes and do okay

rosborn, First of all welcome to FAOL! Although a "newbie" (less than four full years) at throwing fly line, I will say that a 3wt doesn't allow for a whole lot of weight to hinder the action. Depending on the action of the rod of course, but what you are asking about should be a nonproblem. I tried some #10 or 12 clousers with my 3wt TFO..."tried" is how I'll leave it. I like the lighter end rods for streams/greater sensitivity and response. Don't crucify me gang, but when fishing with spinning/baitcasting gear for warm water stuff most spool up with heavy line and horse the fish in. Gardenfish's suggestion on shortening the leader is a good point. Also,open the cast up a little when throwing with weight.

------------------
    Live each day as if it were your last, some day you'll be right!
    Eternal decisions can only be made on this side of eternity.

I don't have any trouble doing it with a 3 wt and I am one of the worlds worst flycasters.

Rick

I agree on there not being too much trouble, just slow down a little. I cast tungsten bead nymphs with my Sage LL 8' 2wt and I do just fine. My Scott Eclipse 3wt does just fine with as you say clousers and size 12 wooly's.

If I can do it, you can do it. This afternoon I spent a couple hours standing in waist deep water doing exactly that. Heavily weighted size 10 on a 3wt.

Jim

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO RESPONDED!

I agree with all the responses since I fish with a 3-weight 90% of the time, but will add one more suggestion when casting heavy flies with it in the wind -- wear a thick hat.

ha hah.

the only time I've ever whipped myself w/ a fly was down in some big wind in mexico w/ 1/0 clousers. a shot to the head was nothing compared to taking one in the shoulder or back. damn it stung. but, yeah without a hat you could prolly raise a decent sized knot w/ a clouser minnow.

mgj

You would be surprised how big aand heavy a fly you can throw by double hauling on a three weight. I throw bead heads a lot in the fall and have no problem throwing out 40-50 feet of line with a good double haul

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

+ Reply to Thread