+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sizing and winding hackle when tying parachute type flies

Default Sizing and winding hackle when tying parachute type flies

I'm not much of a dry fly tyer but thought I would try tying up some Parachute Hares Ears. My question is, do you size the hackle the same way you would normally do say when tying a non parachute fly? Like using the hackle guage that I keep on the stem of my vise.

Another question, whats the best way to wind the hackle around the post? Top to bottom or bottom to top.

Does my question make sense?
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Dave;
    The hackle on parachute fly can be larger. You don't have to be quite so fussy.

Pararchute hackle should always be wrapped with each turn below the previous one. If you don't do this the hackle will unwind over the top of the post. Until I learned this I had many of my early parachutes unravel on the first fish or even just hanging up in a bush.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Thanks guys. This makes sense. I'll have to tie up a few this weekend.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

The "standard" seems to be that you should use hackle two hook sizes larger than you would on a traditionally collared fly - so say a size 14 hackle for a size 16 fly.

This said, I don't see a need to go higher than what I would use for a Catskill. A regular size gives you pleny of footprint and the back end is supported by the tail.

As for wrapping - always top to bottom.

Normand Guest

hackle size = 1 1/2 to 2 gap of hook

wind top to bottom

wind hackle counter clockwise around parachute post

I size up by one, have the dull (concave) side of the feather facing up and wind from the top down. I can get more winds around the post this way and the hackle lays very evenly. I also bind the hackle at the base of the post instead of pulling the stem to the eye and wrapping it there.

Regards,
    Scott

I use hackle 2 hook sizes larger as noted above and I also wrap from top to bottom.

Seems you have all the answers except photos showing how this is done. Here are two styles of tying parachutes, one tying off on the post and the other at the head of the fly. Tying off on the post is how I do it. Since Charlie is a left handed tier, you will need to reverse the images for a right handed tier.

The direction you wind the hackle (as viewed from above the fly) depends on where you will tie off the hackle. The hackle should be going in the same direction as the thread and whip finisher is wound. This allows for a tighter hackle wrap on the tie off.

This means that for a right handed tier tying off on the post, I wind the hackle clockwise. This allows you wind the whip finisher in the same direction as if you were tying off behind the eye. To tie off at the head of the fly, I wind counterclockwise so the hackle is going in the same direction as the thread and whip finisher.

This may seem complicated but rather than trying to imagine it, do a fly tied off on the post and one tied off behind the eye and you will see what I mean.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/fly...m?parentID=131

http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/parachute/01.shtml
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Unlike Scott P and Charlie, I tie with the concave side down. I think the body of the fly rides slightly higher this way.

Cold Guest

Lots of good information here!

Like Silver, I wrap clockwise around the post and tie off the hackle and whip finish around the post.

+ Reply to Thread