+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: playing a fish

Default playing a fish

How are you supposed to play a fish by pulling the line with your hands? I tried it with bluegill and every time i let go of the line to grab more, the fish would pull it out. It seems to me like more of a two handed activity

Oh. I guess I really am a beginner.

seems to me Chris is on to something there.!!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Wow i guess that was a pretty stupid question. Then again, when your 15 and you dont no anybody that has even a mild interest in flyfishing, you have a bunch of questions.

Anthony, it isn't stupid at all to ask for help. I am sure you can come back with anything or question and someone here will be happy to help. I think even the pro learn new stuff at times.

Anthony, dont feel bad. Alot of us were in your situation when we started. As Chris stated, hold the rod and line in one hand and strip with the other. Easy to do once you get the hang of it.
    If you look to the left side of this page you'll see some links. If you havent done so you might want to click on "Flyfishing Basics" and then click on the "Fly Fishing 101" link. Lots of good information there as well as all the help you'll get from the gang here.

------------------
    Terry Quality flies~ great prices..www.teflyfishing.com

[This message has been edited by fishflyer (edited 12 February 2006).]

I personly always like to get my fish on the reel. Sometimes you dont get an oportunity cause the fish is really small or running at you. But you will get that one stubron fish that wont come in youll be prepared to get the fish on the reel, or that big fish youll be able to get him on the reel and fight him out.

Nick

Hey Anthony, Glad to know you're catching fish! The easiest way to learn is to ask. Also, check your local library for books on fly fishing. That's how I learned most everything I needed to. The rest and the best was gleaned right here at FAOL.

One quick tip I've learned by experience... When fishing in tennis shoes, tuck the loops and strings inside the shoe so your line doesn't tangle around your feet. (Or, use a stripping basket)

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

yep Anthony when a big one starts pulling line off my beer can sometimes I have a heck of a time getting it wrapped back on that a I have to let the fish go.................dang , I knew I was doing something wrong, ignore this post Anthony as you can see I've been out in the sun to long, now where did I drop my fishing , er beer can .............

Anthony, That was a good question and look at the responses you received. Don't be afraid to play the fish with the reel, the rod tip will flex and the heart rate will raise a bit as to what size is this one.

One more thing, don't hook school to go fishing, get all the education you can, they can take your fly rod away but not your knowledge.

I wish we had a spell checker on this board and program to fix fragmented sentences

The Geez

------------------
    Excus my spelling and gramma, I hooked Mondays and Fridays so I could Hunt or fish.
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

+ Reply to Thread