+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High Water Trout

Default High Water Trout

I'm headed to Wyoming in just over a week, and while it looks like the peak of runoff will be over, the water will certainly still be very high. I'm not particularly worried about it; as long as the water's clear, the fishing should be fine, but there will definitely be some differences.

How do you change your tactics when fishing for trout in high water?

YOu don't specify what kind/size water that you will be fishing - or in a drift boat or not - but in general I would probably be trying to fish the slower water (less fast) water along the edges.

find the smallest water I can and go for the little gems while i wait for the levels to come down
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Toss big streamers for big fish. Higher water has always seemed good for the big boys.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

Cold Guest

Edges. Big flies. Lots of lead.

You'll likely get a lot of different methods, but here's what works for me. Use a floating line with a long leader. 15'-20' isn't too long if the water is really high. I normally start out with a size 6 or 8 wieghted Wooly Bugger, with a Copper John, Prince, Hare's Ear, or Sparkle Pupa tied in tandem. Add enough weight to get it to the bottom, and fish the seams. Trout will hang out on the bottom in the relatively quiet water, and grab stuff that washes by in the faster current. Also, fish near the banks with large nymphs or streamers. I have been quite successful here in the East on water that was considered unfishable. Trout being trout, I think it would work anywhere.

+ Reply to Thread