+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Moving On?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    Joe, I forgot to add. If you got anymore Fin-Nor click pawl reels you are going to get rid of let me know. I could use some more of them. Just kidding. Go fishing.......................with something.
    That was a nice reel. I hope you are enjoying it. I'm glad it found a home where it's used.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Default Not to throw sand on anyone's baitcasting reel but......

.....as usual I must be missing something.
    I thought this site was Fly Anglers Online.
    Last edited by namekagon; 06-17-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: I say that in jest of course...since everything posted is in relation to this interesting thread.
    nam

Joe,
    Enjoy what pleases you in life. Whether or not that includes fly fishing is up to you.
    It's all what you make it.
    God Bless,
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

I have never given up any of my different ways of fishing. Although I am almost exclusively lure, fly, etc. Not too much bait chunking here but I do still fish with the spinning rod/reel almost as much as I do fly fishing.

I still use my Zebco 33 while on the lakes fishing for bass. Use an ultra-light Zebco for catching (fishing for) those freshwater panfish.

I'll even chum for sharks and use them bigger Penn reels.This is when I use bait the most.

I hope I never limit myself to the flyrod only. I enjoy them all. Hope you get to that "happy medium" as well.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Lotech...aint nothin like a good bucket of minnows .....I dont think there is anything wrong with jug fishin on a cloudy day...or runnin a hook thru the back of a perch to put on a limbline in the middle of the night....dont you dare feel 1 bit guilty....have fun and enjoy the fresh air......get you a 14 foot canepole and do some bass fishin in the lillypads. yes Sir.....call me and I'll bring the throw~net and the seine....thats the kinda fishin I grew up doin...aint nothin wrong with it.
    But I'm savin up for a 14' spey rod cant hardly wait.
    I can't seem ta find the sweet taste of the stream

Joe fishing is supposed to be fun, so what ever method you choose as long as your having fun then more power ta ya

With that said though...I will say this because I've had somewhat of the same conversation with some "spin fishing only" type friends (yeah i have spin friends lol) and one thing they say to me is about how expensive fly fishing is. My reply to them is this....Fly fishing doesn't have to be anymore expensive than spin fishing unless you personally want it to be. It's just like any other type of fishing out there where you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. Perfect example ....

Diawa Steez Spin rod at Bass Pro shops- $449
    Shimano Stella reel at Bass Pro Shops -$599
    Bass boat...Uhg, we all know how much a "bass boat" costs lol

Anyway my point is...a $500 rod, $500 reel, or $500 "anything" wont catch you more or bigger fish no matter if its fly or spin gear.

So just follow your heart and do what you feel personally give you more enjoyment. If sitting in a boat with a spin rod and bait does it for ya, cool. If wading a stream casting a fly does it for ya still, then again, cool. Just do what makes you happy is all I'm sayin. Whatever you do don't drop off the radar though

Steve

Hey Namekagon....

I know that you edited your post to say that you said what you did in "jest".... It was in poor taste. Lotech is a great contributor and your remarks made you sound like those folks that have been snobs to him. It was in POOR taste!
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Quote Originally Posted by Joel D. Popham View Post
    Hey Namekagon....

I know that you edited your post to say that you said what you did in "jest".... It was in poor taste. Lotech is a great contributor and your remarks made you sound like those folks that have been snobs to him. It was in POOR taste!
    It's OK Joel. My medications have my skin as thin as tissue paper but I don't take offense to namekagon's post. I think he's just trying to add levity and I appreciate that. One of these days I'll make it over to Missoula and we'll go fishing at the grocery store. Then have one heck of a BBQ.
    God Bless Us All.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

You've got it buddy.... I still think that his remark was indignant at best. Best Regards....
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

Fish anyway you want. I don't limit myself to just one way. I tie flies to use fly fishing. I tie lead head jigs to use with my spinning gear. I don't remember how many years it's been since I've used worms. Of course a big bucket of minnies (minnows) to use in 60' - 65' of water fishing for yellow perch is a lot of fun and also great eating. Every day that I'm able to be out fishing is a day to be very thankful for.

+ Reply to Thread