+ Reply to Thread

Thread: streamers

Default streamers

what is a good streamer that looks like a golden shiner and can be cast with a 6 wt?
    Thanks

I would suggest a weighted (with or without a bead head) tan mohair (or maribou) bugger.

I have good luck with them in my neck of the woods.

For golden shiners I like using a small to medium Lefty's deceiver with cream marabou and lots of gold crystal flash and flashabou with a wing of peacock herl over yellow/olive bucktail.

I tied up a bunch after I saw my buddy catch a big bass on a 8 inch golden shiner that I hooked 5 minutes earlier on my fly rod.

It seems to work pretty well. I use it all the time on my 6wt streamer rod. I have caught lots of bass on it.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

thanks. how should I retrieve it(for bass)?

I usually always use a full sinking line for streamers. It seems to work best along weed edges with an eratic retreive. I generally fish my streamers with a lot of pauses.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Find a Hot Flash Minnow. Umpqua used to sell it and so did Bass Pro Shops. It came in two basic colors, white or gold based.

I used that a lot where shiners are present, for both bass and trout and it worked like a charm.

Here's an article by Andy Burke. He invented the pattern, so I bet it's accurate.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

Orvis had one and I think others sell it now called "the gummy minnow" cool little shinner pattern.

I know you are all sick of me suggesting you might read the information here on FAOL, but this is an excellent primer on fishing streamers: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part23.html:626bc]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/part23.html[/url:626bc]

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Keep 'm comin' LF. I find it very useful.

------------------
    Lew
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Have you thought about a blonde stayner ducktail or even the stayner ducktail. I don't care where I fish this is the first and usally the last fly I tie on my leader. Here in Idaho it works for perch, bass, crapie, bluegill, and of course just about any species of trout you want.

+ Reply to Thread