+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you change your grip?

Default Do you change your grip?

I was lawn casting a bit today and noticed that I hold the rod differently for long casts than for short ones. My thumb was on top of the grip for the long casts and my forefinger was on top for the short ones . I don't know when I started doing this. It wasn't a conscious decision that I remember. If I try either cast the other way it isn't quite as easy. Would there be any benefit to working on a consistent grip?
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I do the same thing, but it's more a matter of the size of rod. Thumb up on big rods (6wt and up), finger up on light rods. Like you, it isn't a conscious thing, and for me I think it might be a matter of which way is most comfortable on a given shape of cork. I do tend to switch to the thumb up position on windy days no matter what the rod weight for the extra power it gives.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I change my grip too and often depending on the cast. The more options you have in your bag of tricks the better you can hadle different situations. Now if you can't make any two casts to the same spot and are just starting out, a measure of consistancy might be in order until you get the fundamentals down. I'm sure a pro golfer will have different grips than someone just beginning, but the beginner should standardize one grip until he can control his loop or gain some sense of achievement before trying to change everything on every cast.

So the answer for me is yes and no.

Rick

Jim,
    I Lost My Grip on Reality a LONG, LONG Time Ago

I basically use the same grip (thumb on top) no mater what rod I am fishing or the distance I'm casting. I did try the forefinger style when fishing me short three weight, but didn't notice any particular advantage in doing so. I try and keep things simple with the theory that if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I don't change grip (keep thumb on top) when casting on most streams but will sometimes change to forefinger on top when fishing small rods like my 3wt.

Your thumb is the strongest digit. Your casting will be far more accurate using your thumb on top for every cast. Putting your finger on top decreases your strength and accuracy and can often contribute to tennis elbow.

There is a journal out there that some of you may be aware of call "the Loop". It is The Federation of Fly Fishers Journal for Certified Casting Instructors. This issue addresses "differences in grip types" and may be of interests to you: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=sCVeG6roAoI%3d&tabid=446 9&mid=3361You can view and download any of their back issues here: http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4469

Quote Originally Posted by RodWest View Post
    Your thumb is the strongest digit. Your casting will be far more accurate using your thumb on top for every cast. Putting your finger on top decreases your strength and accuracy and can often contribute to tennis elbow.
    I don't think the thumb on the top grip is considered the most accurate grip. I do think it is considered the strongest grip. If I am not mistaken, for short casts straight line casts, the finger on top grip is considered the cost accurate. Also I believe there is no one grip that is most accurate for all casts at all distances.

Grips differ by the amount of rotation of the hand relative to the rod handle when holding the rod. That is, the thumb on tip grip is more supinated that the index finger on top grip. Conversely the finger on top grip is more pronated that the thumb on top grip.

In some casting motions, as in overhead curve casts, one needs to rotate the rod the rod during the casting stroke. If the stroke requires supination of the hand and wrist during the casting stoke, as a right hand caster making an overhead left curve cast. The cast is easier to make if the grip is a pronated grip because there are more degrees of rod rotation that one can make if the grip "cheats" a bit to the the other side during the start of the cast.

For example, lets say the the wrist can rotate 180 degrees which is the difference between the palm up and palm down position. If we hold our wrist in the karate chop middle position, we can rotate 90 degrees each way. If the casting motion requires us to rotate our hand during the casting stroke to a palm down position (finish the stroke with your palm facing away from you), the index finder on top grip gives you more rotational force because it starts the stroke with the hand in a more palm up position than the tub on top grip.

We cast for distance with our shoulder and forearm muscles, and we get fine motion or accuracy with our wrist, hand and fingers. Of all the fingers in our hand, the thumb is the most important because it gives us an opposable grip. BUT it is not the the one best suited for fine motion. That would be the index finger.

Tape an artists paint brush to your thumb and try painting with your thumb. Now tape the paint brush to your index finger and try painting. Which finger gives you more control? For the great majority of us, it is the index finger. That is the reason I believe the index finger on top grip gives the best accuracy for short straight line casts. It is our natural pointer finger, and accuracy for shore casts is the ability to accurately point the rod at the target.

All grips are not equal, and no single grip is the most accurate in all casting situations; but for short straight line casts, I believe the index finger on top grip for most people is the most naturally accurate grip.
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 06-21-2010 at 07:46 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bdesavage View Post
    Jim,
    I Lost My Grip on Reality a LONG, LONG Time Ago

Jim,
    Bill beat me to that line. Whenever I put my forefinger out, the ghost of Castwell comes and whispers (yells) in my ear that things like "What do you think you're doing?" and "Who taught you to cast?" and, well, you get the idea...

Ed

+ Reply to Thread