+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Foxee Redd minnow

Default Foxee Redd minnow

Have any of you ever tried Clouser's "Foxee Redd minnow"? It's a Deep Minnow tied with red fox tail and copper and gold flash. I thought it was worth a shot, so the fox tail arrived in the mail the other day, and I tied a couple up tonight. Two size 1's with lead eyes and two size 6's with bead chain eyes. Gonna give them a run this weekend!

Also: if you don't have it, I'd highly recommend the book "Clouser's Flies". It's got a lot of solid patterns in it, but more importantly Bob goes through some fundamental tying techniques that are worth practicing. How to solidly mount in dumbell eyes, tie in flash, how to properly handle and tie in various types of hair... I have learned a LOT! What I like best is he doesn't just show "how to", but he explains "why". To me, the why is more important than the how because if I know why, then that can translate to my overall fly tying wisdom "database"... not just use it in one small realm for a couple patterns.

I do like that book.
    I tied up a couple of the Foxee Redd Minnows....but have to admit I haven't fished them yet.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Caught some real nice browns using them on Pennsylvania spring creeks; figure they either took it to be a crayfish or sculpin/baby brown trout. I subbed coyote tail/rootbeer crystal flash when I ran out of fox and had similar results. Hope you catch a bunch, bet you will.

Regards,
    Scott

Loved the book, and have tied most the flies in it now, including a coyote version of the foxee redd. Great carp fly, as the book suggests, but also good for greens, gills and smallmouth too.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Tim,
    I think the next fly I'm going to work on out of the book is his Madtom. I have a good supply of some neat-looking rabbit pieces that should work perfectly.

It is a Great book... and really well written. The best thing about it is the WHY's in there. Many times I cut corners and when something doesn't work I don't understand why... With his instructions... you understand WHY up front... Imagine that!

It really is an excellent book. I love the Foxee Redd Minnow and have tied up a bunch of them. Some were for a swap, a few were given away, and the rest have been put to good use on bass in Adirondack and central NY lakes. I've had great success with that fly, including a tiny little bluegill who tried chomping on a really big one. Ambitious fellow! Great fly.

Miss Diane, that's bluegills by nature! Whatever they *might* be able to fit in their mouth, they'll try to eat. I just have a hunch this may be a good clear-water streamer for me... Time will tell!

+ Reply to Thread