+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2010 fishing report thread

Unfortunately when I got to the car and geared down I noticed that much more than an hour had gone by. So I packed up and started my 4+ hr drive home (it was 1600 when I left). Overall I really enjoyed the day. The creek seems to be the way I remembered it with one exception. There were the same numbers of fish as last year. However there seemed to be fewer fish in the 13”-14” range. I also saw several dead brookies in the water. They did not appear to have any signs of disease actually they looked quite good (despite the fact that they were dead).
    I hope you enjoyed my first small water report for 2010.

Lightbulb I had the urge ....

.... this morning to jump in the truck and do the four hour thing from this side of the creek. But once this week was enough !! Would have been great to meet you in person and fish with you. Maybe next time.

That is a lovely stretch of water that you were on. And it looks like the fishies were plentiful and healthy, for the most part. That thing about the dead brookies is certainly a curiosity, unless it is related to the PM I sent you a couple days ago ??

Looking forward to seeing the reports on the other "creeking" you do. Got a couple up here that you might enjoy, if you get up this way.

John

P.S. Have you been on the Big Lost and its Forks ? That is a trip I expect to make sometime over the summer. Maybe we can get organized and do a Central Mountains Fish In.
    The fish are always right.

Glad you got out to enjoy a little of your specialty. You have to love the smaller waters .

Sasha, you finally made it! Great report and pics. My son was out there aweek ago and had an incredible day also. We need to coordinate this next time and meet in the middle.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Yes I had a blast!

Some think I am crazy but I love fishing small waters with my ultralight rods and big bushy dries. I do like other types of fly fishishing but small creeks will always be my favorite.

@Kelly: Yea it was sort of a last miute decision for me to go out there. Next time I head that way I will let you know (I was thinking of fishing the ranch opener if my work schedule does not conflict).

Default My son's first time

So yesterday my 4 year old son asked me if he could go fishing with me. I was pretty happy because up until now he has not expressed an interest in going with me. This worked out perfectly as I started my 4 day weekend today.
    I decided for his first trip to take him to a local pond. It was close to home so if he didn?t stay interested we would have a short drive home.
    It was pretty windy and cloudy when we reached the pond. I setup my SPL with a little copper john for some bluegill action.

Despite the wind I had no issues casting the little 0wt where I wanted. It did not take very long before the first gill came out to play. I set the hook, and then I handed the rod to my son and helped him bring the fish in. He was so excited when the first fish was landed.

We went right back to fishing catching lots of little gills. In between fish my son entertained himself by throwing rocks and such into the water.

After a couple of hours it was time to go. On the way out he said that he had so much fun. He also asked when he could go again. I told him that I was very proud that he acted like a good boy the whole time we were there. I think I might see how he does on one of the local creeks on our next trip. This was the best fishing trip I have had in a while. Hope you enjoyed this short report.

Awesome Sasha. I know I enjoy my little outings but my favorite fishing trips this year have been the short little trips to the local pond with my kids. It is a lot of fun to see them having fun doing something you enjoy so much.

It was a blast. Based on the experience I think I might even take him to the O. The only thing I need to work out is what holes to hit so that he can safely have fun.

Default One of your better posts ....

.... Sasha !!

Just kidding. They are all great - but this one does have a little something special, or is that a special little something ??

John
    The fish are always right.

So the initial plan for this past Sunday was to hit the Chinook opener on another river. Unfortunately on Friday I received an email from my buddy. You see we have had pretty constant rain here for a while; and as the email?s title read "The roads are F***ed".

So plan B was to hit some Stillwater action. Unfortunately due to some other issues that came up that was a no go as well. So I am sitting at my house come Saturday evening with a "kitchen pass" to go fishing and no idea where to go.

Well at around 2300 I decided to hit a river I have not fished in about three months. The river is not a crazy distance away so I really didn't mind when my alarm woke me at 0600. By this time the sun was already up. I got in my car and went to the river.

I got geared up headed down to the water and began to fish. After a while of nothing I began to wonder why my secret combo was not working. It has always produced in this river but not today (other than one LDR that felt like it was foul hooked). After trying a few different combos I decided to try something really different. I tied on a tan SJ worm on as my 3rd fly. That seemed to do the trick.

However after several fish that were around this size I decided to change again. I know this hole well and I also know that there are some nice sized fish in it. I decided to go with a combo I haven?t used on this river in a while. I went to a two fly rig: a #16 pheasant tail and a #18 zebra midge in red. I guess that is what they wanted today.

Netting the first guy

And the release

Unfortunately out of all the flies I had with me, I only had one zebra midge in red. After four more fish around the same size (some a little smaller and some a little larger) that poor fly was really beat up to the point in unraveled.

I decided to try a black zebra midge the same size but I had no luck with it. Curious if it was just the red they were keying in on I tied on a blood midge; however I had no luck with this either.

About that time I noticed two anglers a little too close to me down river. Yes I had been low holed.. I said something but they did not speak good English (Guessing from the accent I would guess that they were from somewhere in Eastern Europe). Since I was out of what the fish wanted and I had already caught quite a few fish; I decided to pack it up and head home.

Overall it wasn't a bad day. I got out, caught fish and had a good time. I guess it wasn't too bad considering it was plan C.

+ Reply to Thread