+ Reply to Thread

Thread: line question

Default line question

Hi i have a question concerning line weight. If you are using a 4 wt rod, but at the time you don't have a 4wt line .but You do have a 3 and a 5 wt line. Which line would you recommed using on the rod? Thanks
    Uncle Ben, was my father a good fisherman? No Tommy, he was not. But no one loved it more.-Thomas McGuane

I would try the heavier. I over load my rods on all my sinking lines, and I know people that do it with their floating (I prefer the same as rod in floating).
    Unless the rod is very slow, noodlie, then you could try the lighter. Try both and see which works better for you, but neither is unheard of.

Go with the 5wt. I have read that it is better to over line than under line a rod.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

If you have both lines, go out on the lawn and give them both a try at various distances to se what you like Allyn

This is my two cents:
    For a long time I used a 5 wt, and liked it. I then had the opportunity to cast a 4 weight with my rod and LOVED it - on that rod. My understanding is this; since the 5 weight would be heavier for a given length than the 3 weight, it would effectively load the rod at a closer distance. The 3 wt would likewise require MORE line to properly load the rod. Some think this would cause you to cast longer with ease. I don't know what i think about that, but I know that on windy days I personally would prefer underweighting the line because I feel the smaller diameter line to create less wind resistance. In the end I agree with the idea that personal preference plays the most important role.

Thomas, ... I believe that Allyn hit it right on the head.

Personal preference, style ... lots of things will influence how much YOU like a specific setup.

I was given a few rods a while back and it took me quite a while to get the balance and line to my liking.

They're for casting classes and I wanted to slow them down just a tad, so I hunted around for the right DT lines, ... and finally just hacked off 5 ft of the DT to get the darn things to load at reasonable distances. (not really recommended)

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum1/HTML/015738.html:24d7f]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:24d7f]

[url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:24d7f]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:24d7f]
    Christopher Chin

Thomas,

It's not clear from your question whether this is a one time thing, or whether you will be using this line regularly on that rod. The simple answer is that if you will be making short to medium length casts, go with the heavier line. For distance casting, use the ligher line.

+ Reply to Thread