+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a dragonfly pattern

Default Looking for a dragonfly pattern

I'm looking for a dragonfly pattern and also a damsel patter.
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Normand Guest

did you check the fly archive on this website??

Bass_Bug Guest

Did you Google "dragonfly fly pattern" or "damselfly fly pattern"? Also are you looking for adult or nymphs? Two totally different types of patterns.

Guess that would make a difference...Just noticed the bluegill eating them instead of my wolly bugger
    Raiderhunter....Always In Search Of Water and Fish....

Foam is easiest to use to make the body and silicone skirting (not rubber) for the soft legs. The problem is wings, and it is a problem. I have tried MANY materials, none with success. Those firm enough not to collapse are like casting a kite and flutter. Those easier to cast collapse toward the tail. Those that float don't look realistic, and those that sink sink. Trying to retrieve a fly once it's on the water is worse. Big wings want to tip over the fly, and soft wings really fold against the body now. Here's a list of some things that DON'T WORK for wings: krystal flash, flashaboo, bucktail, closed cell foam, packing foam, plastic bag materials (like zip lock), raffia, etc.
    You can try to use hair comparadun style, but it doesn't look quite right on the water.
    Using hackle parachute style had potential, but the dragon fly has to be very small to have the hackle be proportionate. Even big saddle feathers aren't quite big enough for a fly the size of a real mosquito hawk.
    To make the segmented body, put an upholstery needle in your vise clamping down on the hole. Cut a small strip of sheet foam. Make a point in one end. Start a few wraps of thread on the needle. Stick the point of the foam on the point of the needle. Fold the foam around the needle. Bring the thread over the top and around the foam. Segment one. Make another wrap at the same location. Bring the thread under the foam about 1/8 inche toward the vise and bring it over the foam again. Segment two. Etc. Etc. Whip finish when you think you have enough segments. Pull it off the needle. You want to leave about 2 inches of unsegmented foam attached to the segments. This will form the main body of the dragonfly, which you will segment also, just bigger segments.

Here's a pattern of mine that I use for a small red damsel fly.

The tail is pheasant tail fibres dyed red, the body is red floss (tied over the fibres) and the thorax is the but of the fibres wrapped. Hackle is furnace. I leave the wings off. Fish don't seem to mind, but if you wanted to tie some in, just tie in grizzle hackles along the back (for damsel) or two a side, spent, for a dragon. The wings might mess up casting though, but I've not tried them so I could be wrong.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Very neat fly there Jeff. I'm sure it will do the job. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

Thanks Jax. Mostly a still water pattern. First time I tried it I just flicked it out to see how it floated, and as soon as it touched the water this trout smashed it violently! I wasn't expecting anything and it scared the bejeezis out of me! It's done well out at Parkinson's Lake, near Waiuku, where there are a lot of the little Red Damsel's around. I know a spot near Dickie's Flat where I've seen trout leaping out of the water to grab the Red Damsels as they fly around and want to try this there one day.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Hi Jeff; I haven't been up to Dickies Flat for ages, guess it slipped below the radar some but I must make a point of getting back up there for a late afternoon/evening fish. As you say it can be quite exciting up there when the fish come out to play. Your fly should be high on the menu for the fish. Jax
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

Bass_Bug Guest

Here's a blog I did on laminated wings for an adult Damsel last year.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/e...lass-bead-eyes

I cant see the pics that should be with it, but I'm at work and some stuff gets blocked. I'll check it tonight form home.

+ Reply to Thread