+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Red Squirrel Nymph

Default Red Squirrel Nymph

I'm working on tying up some of the Whitlock red fox squirrel nymphs and plan to blend my own dubbing with the red fox squirrel skin I have. Luv to blend my own dub.

I've checked a few sites to check out the best blends of dub for the body and thorax with the red fox fur. Was hoping to get some good suggestion before attempting to mix it up. Most of the info I've come across recommends using Antron to blend it.

If you've blended something similar what's the best blends you found for the body and thorax for this type of fly?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Hi, Mike

I've always taken about equal parts of the squirrel belly fur and orange antron for the abdomen and a darker gray antron mixed with the squirrel belly fur for the thorax. It is such a great pattern I'm not sure that the exact colors/blend make all that much difference, unless you want to tie it to Whitlock's precise specs - and he certainly knows what he's doing! I'm sure any shiny dubbing material would work in place of the antron (Ice Dub, etc.). I've tied it in an olive shade with olive dyed hare's ear and antron and a yellow version and those work great, too. It's just a terrific nymph imitation.

Joe

Why not check out Witlock's tying DVD? He tells you what to use. Also check out what and how he ribs his nymphs. I beleive
    he shows 5 variations of the squirrel nymph on the tying DVD.

Fishin' Jimmy

Hi Joe,

thanks allot for the tip. I've been looking at some of the antron colors and mixing it with a tiny bit of flash. Sounds like you've come very close to the Dave's original mix. I have some friends down in WI that do allot of fly fishing and asked if I could tie up some of these for them along with another great pattern, the Bird's Nest. Another nice fly. I can't do much fishing for a while due to an injury a few months ago so I've been doing allot of tying And having the a couple of local sources for skins, furs, feathers ... etc., in my area I can probably blend up enough dubbing for a couple of life times!

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

In the deep South, our squirrels often lack much underfur, so we have to add in a "softer" fur in order to have obtain blend that will "lock in". Therefore we often add a little dyed rabbit or other soft fur.

I see that you're from Iowa, so you probably won't encounter these problems.

I used to tye/fish fox squirrel nymhs a lot and found that slight variations in color or blends made little difference in their ablities to attract fish.

Have fun!

Bowfin47
    Last edited by bowfin47; 06-10-2010 at 02:17 PM.

we do get some really big squirrels in the area. I don't hunt them myself but there's a taxidermist in the area where I got a bunch of really nice gray and red squirrel skin pieces.

Mike

I really like SLF mixed in with squirrel. Seems to have more sparkle and dubs better (IMHO) than Antron.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

The more I thought about it I think I may order some of the SLF RFS dub to see how it's blended and the texture.

Mike

I have used the belly fur for the abdomen, but since the thorax is to be darker and spikier, I think it might be better to NOT blend fur for the thorax, but rather just cut a pinch from the back fur and use that in a dubbing loop for the thorax. I also like black mylar embroidery thread for the ribbing on the abdomen. Is shiny but not too bright, and shows up well against the orangey abdomen.

+ Reply to Thread