+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice or comments re: 8 wt. reel

Default Advice or comments re: 8 wt. reel

Dear Members,

I have recently become an owner of an Orvis T3 8 wt. rod. I am in need of a reel that will handle Great Lakes steelhead and salmon with rare excursions to salt water.

I've been looking at Pflueger Trion 1978, Reddington CD, and Orvis Battenkill Barstock.

I would appreciate any comments regarding quality, drag, personal experiences, warnings, kudos, or gripes.

Any others that I should consider?

Thanks, Tom

Blog Entries

I cant comment on the Orvis. I can however on the Trion 7/8 and Redington CD

They for all intent and purposes are the same reel mechanically. I belive the CD in the same size as the trion handles more backing.

I use a Trion 7/8 on my 8wt and a Redington CD 9/10 0n my 9wt. No problems with either.

[This message has been edited by Smernsky (edited 09 February 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Smernsky (edited 09 February 2006).]

tlooze,,,

I've had Redingtons, no Pfleugers; now, the only reels I have are the Orivs Battenkill Bar Stocks. I have them in II, III and IV. Just lined up the IV with 8wt. floating and full-sinking for saltwater.

They are probably the lightest reels per size you can find and have a great disk drag system. I've been using the II and III for several years now and they show no signs of loosening, wear or any problems at all.

Jim

4. Default

I've got a Teton Tioga #8 strongest reel i've owned, if you don't mind an extra tenth of an ounce or so.

tlooze,

Just my .02 worth but the New Orvis Mach IV Reel in the Titanium Color would be an absolute great match up for your Orvis T-3 Rod.

It holds a WF8F & 200-yards of 20lb backing, has a drag that will stop a sub, and is an awesome quality reel.

I've used mine on large Stripers and it's performed flawlessly! Retail is about $285. Not cheap, but if your going after fish that size, I'd skimp somewhere else, I'm not losing a fish of a lifetime over a few dollars and a cheap reel. Been there, done that already, never again!!!

Terry
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

I'd suggest a Scientific Anglers System II 89. I use them in saltwater for stripers and blues. I'm sure they could handle the Great Lakes. Price is fairly reasonable too.

I just picked up an Orvis MA V which is very pretty and looks well made. The MA IV would be the 8-9 wt. version. Its a mid-arbor. Holds more line than a LA and retrieves faster than a std. arbor. I'm going to get some Gel Spun backing and it will hold 250 yds of backing, good enough for anything I stand a chance of hooking up with.

jed

Many choices here.Sci Anglers Sys 2 is good as are Teton Tioga,J Ryall,Ross Cimarron,ect.Right now Orvis is offering a free extra spool with their BBS or Battenkill LA reels.

I knew you all would give me more options to consider. I will have to research some of your suggestions.

Tell me, is there a particular material best suited for the drag? I have heard that cork drag is less effective when wet and degrades rapidly.

I think the designers of Billy Pate, Tibor, Abel, Islander and other quality reels with cork drags would take issue with the idea that cork becomes less effective or degrades. I have never had any problems with my cork drag reels. Quality cork drags do need to be lubricated periodically according to manufacturer instructions. For many anglers, it may be years between lube jobs.

+ Reply to Thread