+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adding lips to flies

Normand Guest

Default adding lips to flies

for those of of you who are inclined to add lips to you fly pattern, heres a video idea just for you

Boy, you got me good on that one normand...i laughed good, remembering that my grandad used to remind me that fish don't have lips nor do they drink water. Then i watched the vid and laughed some more at myself for thinking i was going to see some goofy looking fly with big ole lips. Good one !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Couldn't you do virtually the same thing with epoxy by putting a piece of clear tape across the loop and filling it with epoxy? The thing in the photo is one of my feeble attempts to put a little wiggle into a streamer type fly. I really have not tried it yet, I will let you know if it works.

wiggle attachment.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Thanks Normand! I plan to try this very soon. I think the lip would be a good addition to this floating minnow I tied recently...maybe it will be nearly as effective as the good ol' Rapala floating minnows?:
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    Couldn't you do virtually the same thing with epoxy by putting a piece of clear tape across the loop and filling it with epoxy? The thing in the photo is one of my feeble attempts to put a little wiggle into a streamer type fly. I really have not tried it yet, I will let you know if it works.
    for every fly tyer, theres a different way to do something, but that wasnt the point of this post.......

Bass_Bug Guest

Yep, Jesse, that would indeed work too, but like Norm said, this was just one way to do it that Norm found.

H3ll the EASIEST way to add lips to flies is to BUY them and just tie them on.
    http://www.flylipps.com/whattheheck.html

But then again you don't get to play with cool UV cured glue.

I usually cut them out of hook boxes or something of the kind. That UV stuff did look like fun but there that price thing for the light. Like a lot of other folks my income was greatly reduced last year and has not full recovered.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post
    Yep, Jesse, that would indeed work too, but like Norm said, this was just one way to do it that Norm found.

Strangely enough, I don't have a problem with glue or even plastic fly lips.
    nam

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Bug View Post

Those pre-manufactured lips look interesting. I cut up clear plastic tomato containers from Costco and use them.
    But all of the above misses a critical point:

Diving wiggling flies are complex machines. The fly shown at the top of this thread is guaranteed not to work as hoped for.
    To get wigglers to work you have to balance the opposing forces of buoyancy and weight (in addition to the planing action
    of the bill) in order to get what you want. Rapalas are made from balsa wood. Other plugs are made from (hollow) molded
    plastic, often with weight molded into the mix at just the right place.

Without buoyancy on the top side of the wiggler and at least some weight below, the diving bill will force the (f)lure to
    spin--either twisting your line, or worse yet, orienting upside down so the flure planes right up to the surface.

Last edited by pittendrigh; 06-10-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: gabusted

Interesting flies!

I have no doubt getting homemade spoon flies to track properly would be a challenge.
    Even commercial non-fly spoon plugs can get out of tune,,,. usually corrected by realigning the eye.
    nam

+ Reply to Thread