+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Today is the day...(not FF)

I thought I'd throw in this tidbit. While visiting my son in Ponotoc, MS we took a drive to Sardis. Found out the Tallahatchie bridge collapsed in 1972. Maybe Billie Joe had something to do with it, or brother Tom stood on it after one too many pieces of Momma's apple pie:^()
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Sometimes what happens on Choctaw Ridge ends up in the Tallahatchie River.

The Sardis Lake Dam is rather impressive. It is nearly 3 miles long and a lot taller than it looks from the highway.

Are the Yalobusha and Pearl Rivers workable with a fly rod?

Ed

As you probably know the Yalobusha River run into and out of Grenada Lake, it is not done with any regularity but a small boat and a fly rod should result in some nice bream, crappie and largemouth, as well as catfish. I believe the AVERAGE crappie in Grenada last year was either 1.5 lbs. They have special limit restriction trying to maintain the quality of that fishery. The Yalobusha joins the Tallahatchie at Money, MS and form the Yazoo. Their is excellent fishing and treacherous waters at that junction. I would recommend a stainless steel revolver with CCI shot shell for your entertainment and continued excellent health, as well as a large can of OFF.

The Pearl River runs into and out of Ross Barnett Reservoir. Fly fishing up stream and down stream of the lake are certainly possible, not done a lot. The Pearl River has a reputation for having strong undertows and strong currents in it. Being from the northern half of the state I do not know much about the Pearl.

The best stream fishing in Mississippi, IMHO, is in south Mississippi. There are several small spring fed water water creeks that stay cold and have a little current to them. I am more familiar with Black Creek that run just south of Camp Shelby [the largest Army National Guard training center in the country], it runs into Red Creek and forms the Big Black which is only about 7 - 10 miles long before it runs into the Pascagoula River within 20 miles of the Gulf. I learned to swim in White Sands Creek in the Monticello area, all of them will take your breath in July. I am not a fan of stocking non-natives, but I would not be too upset if they put smalljaw bass in these streams.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Uncle Jesse, Thanks for the update. I was unaware of the undertow issue with the Pearl River.

My sister lives in Pascagoula. The Singing River has an excellent reputation for large bass. The bayous have 'gills to make me drool. I have been told, in no uncertain terms, that spending my "visiting time" down there with a fly rod in my hand would be considered anti-social. For whatever it's worth, my brother-in-law has a minority, dissenting opinion.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread