+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TICA series S fly reel info please

Default TICA series S fly reel info please

Anyone use, own the TICA series S fly reel.
    Where are they made? Your opinion counts, thank you, Rich

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

Hey there Joneeze,
    The TICA reels were mentioned here a few months back and I decided to take a fling at it. I bought the S103B model for under $70 at Dicks Sporting Goods.( they are even cheaper elsewhere). I have not yet used it but for the purpose of THIS comment, I loaded it with #4DTF line and installed it on my newly "acquired" TFO 4 pc 3wt and its a great balance. The reel itself is a made in China, quality machined CNC, probably from aluminum bar stock,aesthetically pleasing, smooth solid action etc. The drag seems a bit simple but that is not a feature I am too concerned about. Although I am not aware of the quality of other reels at this price range, I can safely say, I don't expect to be disapointed when I finally test this reel astream.

Mark
    PS: FWIW There is a label on the packaging stating that : "This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects and other reproductive harm". So if you're NOT in Calif, apparently there's NO problem

Yes, I posted about them a while back in the "sound off" section of this board. Very smooth CNC machining compared to other reels in the price range....no burrs. Smooth drag system, I landed a fat 20 inch rainbow on mine in wyoming last year on a 3 wt rod. Made in China, and the website and the instructions are in, shall we say, "Engrish." ;~) The local fly shop where i got mine says they've had no problems getting replacement parts or repairs. Oh, and they are very quiet reels, if you prefer that.

No offense to those of Asian descent intended by my using the word "Engrish" -- for some good laughs, check out both [url=http://www.engrish.com:1d5b3]http://www.engrish.com[/url:1d5b3] for Eastern misapplications of english grammar, and [url=http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5150077:1d5b3]http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5150077[/url:1d5b3] for an NPR story on Western misapplications of Chinese grammar--in American tatoos, no less!

DANBOB

[This message has been edited by danbob (edited 10 February 2006).]

Thank you all for the replies and information. I will think long and hard on the reel purchase. I understand about the english/asian language thing. I am a ham radio operator and enjoy very much talking with Japanese operators, they are intellegent and lots of fun to run up discussions with. I once thought, they know english pretty good, I don't know Japanese. So I took a class in conversational Japanese at a local University and low and behold..I thought they were ignorant not using plurals when speaking English...there are NO plurals in their language...it was I who was ignorant. ...."Gambot Kudasai" (Go for it!) Thanks again, Rich

+ Reply to Thread