+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cabela's Fly Rods

Default Cabela's Fly Rods

First off, yea I know I haven't been here in a while and I have no good explanation so I'll apologize right off.... I'm sorry I haven't been here I've probably missed a lot. Ok back to the rod....

I ordered a Cabela's Traditional II rod the other day to replace my cheap St. Croix rods which are both broken thanks to my overwhelming genius. It hasn't gotten here yet, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried them and what their opinions are of them.
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Have no personal clue about the Cabelas fly rods. Just wanted to say ....It's about freekin' time you got back here!!!!!!!!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I have a traditional II 5wt that I purchased about a year ago now. It's a pretty decent low end stick. It's certainly not what I woud call a fast action, but maybe medium fast would be appropriate. I have caught bass to 6 pounds on mine and it handles them just fine. My biggest complaint has to do with the fact that I can't get the reel seat to stay tight on the damn thing. It can be seen here with my fishing partner and a trout from her first fly fishing trip ever....
    shells trout.jpg
    Last edited by hugefish_80; 06-05-2010 at 06:43 PM.
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Blog Entries

If you like the way that rod you built casts, you should be happy with the Traditions II rod from Cabela's. I built a 4w on one of those Traditions II blanks from Cabela's that I like quite a bit. Medium fast is what it measured out and it handles nicely with either a 4 or 5 line.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I've built on a few Tradition II blanks and I think they're great.
    Bruce

I also have a traditional II , 7'6" 4 wt. that I really enjoy. I think they at one time sold for about a hundred bucks but I picked this one up for $40.00. I really think it was a steal and it has become my favorite short rod. Not a fast action rod really but fast doesn't really fit my casting style anyway. For a budget rod I think it's a great choice.

I ordered the 8' 5wt. One of the St. Croix rods that broke was an 8'6" 5wt, so I'm hoping the shorter rod will be better in the places that I fish. It would be nice to afford something better, but my wages just aren't meant for it.

Hey Betty! Glad to see you too!!
    May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing~

Joe, you really don't need anything better.
    Bruce

Joe,
    I have an older Traditional 1 rod and it works really well. I bought it as a spare to take along on fishing trips just in case I snapped a rod out in the middle of nowhere sometime. It sat in the rod tube for a couple years and never even got assembled. This spring, I thought what the heck, take it out and see how it casts. I was very surprised at how well the rod cast.

I have noticed the reel seat issue mentioned earlier. I think the locking ring is just a bit too flimsy and distorts which allows it to jump the threads. I wrapped a couple layers of teflon tape around the threads and all works well now. That may not be the prettiest solution, but who cares, putting a pretty rod next to me is kind of like putting a tuxedo on a pig anyway.

Jeff
    fishing bum in training
    My blog:
    http://www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/

I don't own a Traditional II rod, but have cast them, and like them alot. I do own a Cabelas LST for my bass setup.....and love the rod! Their rods are great values.

+ Reply to Thread