+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Catoctin Mountains MD

Default Catoctin Mountains MD

Fished Big Hunting Creek for a few hours this afternoon; cloudy, misty, temps in the 60's. Good flow of water, helped out by thunderstorms last night, a bit of color in the stream. Saw a variety of bugs - BWOs, a couple bigger mayflies identity unknown (too far away for a good look), yellow sallies and lime sallies; no sulphurs or green drakes (bummer). The brown trout were looking up and in the mood - caught them in the heavier water on foam-back convertibles (color didn't seem to matter) and in the quiet stretches on Wally's Clacka Caddis (can't wait to get out to Montana and try them out there); most were 7-10" but did manage to fool one a bit over 12". A nice way to spend a few hours. Sorry, no pics. Hope everyone else gets out this weekend.

Regards,
    Scott

Cool Sounds like a fun day ...

... out with the convertible !! Must have gotten a bit wet with the top down ??

That's quite a soup of flies to have to work your way through. Tough duty, but we know you are up to it.

I assume the Wally's Clacka Caddis is from Walter Weiss ?? aka .... sorry, the BB name doesn't come to mind just off hand, and I wouldn't want to offend anyone by using the wrong one.

John
    The fish are always right.

John,

That is Mr. Wiese's caddis. Should have provided a link, so here it is: http://www.parksflyshop.com/newflies.htm You're right, it wouldn't seem like typical weather for a convertible, but I had to take mine out for a spin. Do you have any left? They should work well in your neighborhood soon.

Regards,
    Scott

Wink I've been keeping mine ....

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    ... You're right, it wouldn't seem like typical weather for a convertible, but I had to take mine out for a spin. Do you have any left? They should work well in your neighborhood soon.

Regards,
    Scott
    .... under cover until the weather clears up and I can take them for a ride in some sunshine !!

John

Nice! I like fishing big beetles, ants and hopper/cricket patterns after a storm for brownies. those fish are just waiting under cover for some big terrestrial tidbits to fall in the creek after a storm!

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Nice report and I'm glad you had some fun.
    Question: what is a foam back convertible?

Default That Clacka Caddis ....

.... must have been named after Clackacraft Driftboats ?? As in the Clackamas River in Oregon. Hmmmmmm .....

Actually, it is very much like a fly I've been thinking about tying off one of my better caddis patterns - an X-caddis version of the Harrop's Henry's Fork Caddis.

The Clacka Caddis appears to have a synthetic wing - antron ?? The HHFC has a biot body, peacock herl thorax, grizzly hackle, and the original has a CDC wing, but a dark deer hair wing will do the trick also, at least for some streams. Same basic profile / silhouette as the Clacka. Just add some shuck to the HHFC.

Looks like I'll have to go from the thinking stage to the tying stage ?? ( Not sure which is a bigger "ouch" !! )

John

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Nice report and I'm glad you had some fun.
    Question: what is a foam back convertible?
    I just add a 2mm foam back to Scott Sanchez' Convertible http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...080805fotw.php It floats a long time and is easy to see; I've tied them up in a lot of different colors and had luck with each at varying times. Size #12 for the most part, sometimes #14; calf tail wing becomes a booger for me to work with at any smaller sizes and I was never satisfied with the results I got from calf body (guess I could try synthetics but I like how the calf tail looks). With the foam providing most of the buoyancy, I can use lower quality saddle hackle and still keep it on top.

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    .... must have been named after Clackacraft Driftboats ?? As in the Clackamas River in Oregon. Hmmmmmm .....

Actually, it is very much like a fly I've been thinking about tying off one of my better caddis patterns - an X-caddis version of the Harrop's Henry's Fork Caddis.

The Clacka Caddis appears to have a synthetic wing - antron ?? The HHFC has a biot body, peacock herl thorax, grizzly hackle, and the original has a CDC wing, but a dark deer hair wing will do the trick also, at least for some streams. Same basic profile / silhouette as the Clacka. Just add some shuck to the HHFC.

Looks like I'll have to go from the thinking stage to the tying stage ?? ( Not sure which is a bigger "ouch" !! )

John
    John,

I tie my Clackas (and Iris Caddis) wings with white Congo Hair (EP fiber sub, sheds water). Since I fish them most often in lower light conditions, I like the visibility it provides even if it's not what the bug's wing looks like; tied some up with black wings too for those times when the light gets real weird around sunset and its a PITA to see much of anything. I've always loved the Iris Caddis but I think Wally's on to something with adding the hackle up front. I like the Harrop and X-2 Caddis, too, and have them in the box.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread