+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two tugs on the fly line

Default Two tugs on the fly line

Hi.

I went fishing last Saturday, not a big thing but I recall getting a tug on the fly line and then another one half a second or one fourth of a second later.
    I have often had those two tugs when fishing and started thinking of what it could be.
    I was using a nymph.

Is it the fish getting cought f.ex in the left sissors, he then turning to the right and immediately releasing him self...???

Just wandering,
    Thorarinn.
    Last edited by thorarinna; 05-25-2010 at 12:23 AM.

I generally write that off to low reflexes on my part.

Hi Thorarinn,

A friend, that is quite a walleye fisherman, has told me that the first thing a big walleye does when hooked is swing it's head back and forth a few times. Perhaps what happened was something like that, but perhaps not.

For me, however, any time I get any kind of a tug on my fly line it is good news, but seldom experienced.

Regards,

Gandolf

I tend to think that the first bump is the take....and the 2nd is when they turn their heads.

Just a possibility....

Not knowing how deep the water was or how much current or if the nymph was weighted...could it be that the nymph snagged bottom twice and worked free both times??
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

My guess would be the first bump is the take, the second is the fish (or the rock if you're Warren ) feeling the hook point and getting rid of it without quite actually getting hooked. Could also be a short strike where the fish takes part of the fly in his mouth but doesn't get the part with the hook. In that case the first bump is still the take, but the second bump is the fly being pulled from his mouth by the tightening of the line as he turns. The last one happens a lot when I encounter smaller fish with streamers, which happens to me an awful lot.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Hi guys

It's a stillwater, it's not deep, less than a 6 feet.
    The nymph was a PT tied with copper wire instead of thread as the auther did it One of my favurite, but I have experienced this with other nymphs, maybe many of them with goldheads.
    I'm quite shure it was not the bottom, it's a different feel when you snag the weeds.

All your answers sound right and yes my reflexes are not that fast

Bluegil222 sums it up real good and also interesting if the fish takes the nymph "between the lips" and then turns, hense the second tug.

This happens to me mostly when using fly with some sort of tail. I have had a chance to see what happens in the water at least cople of times. First tug is the take but the fish strikes short grabbing only the tail - second when you pull the tail out of its mouth - with some flies you can cut the tail off: I've done this with buggers and PTN's and cauth the fish.

Second explanation is the you feel little tugs bacuse the fish is shaking out of controll from laughing at you...
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. - John Lennon

Sorry, but I just thought of something else that might be the "tugs" you are feeling. There are times that I feel "tugs" that turn out to be small river chubs/minnows attacking the fly and they can drive you nuts!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Just a suggestion, instead of raising the rod tip, try line striking the fish. Hold your rod steady and just slip a little line in with your line hand..you'll get the feel very quickly. Something to remember, when you strike with the rod the tip actually goes down before it goes up and gives the fish a chance to get away. Using the line strike prevents that.
    Hugs,
    LF

+ Reply to Thread