+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flourocarbon or Maxima

Default Flourocarbon or Maxima

Which is better for leader/tippet material? I have used maxima for most of my time on the fly rod, but a buddy of mine says the 100% flourocarbon is the only way to go. I am not so sure, but a the difference in price, I would like some opinions before switching.

------------------
    Tension on the line relieves tension on the mind.

fishon:

Last summer I was looking for leaders at a local Dick's SG and they didn't have what I wanted, so, I decided to purchase several spools of Berkley Vanish (flourocarbon) and tie my own. You can get nutsy with all the formulas, or just use the standard 60-20-20 and never buy another leader again.

Turnover is fantastic; better that any of the factory leaders I'vs used.

i use the berkely vanish exclusively...and it's about three times less expensive than the 'fly shop' fluros

Flouro...all the way! It's much cheaper to tie your own and the flourocarbon is more stealthy

(STEALTHY - is that even a word?...hehehehe)

[This message has been edited by dleo6446 (edited 05 February 2006).]

Is there any difference between the 27 yard spools of flourocarbon that the fly shops sell vs. a 200 yard spoil of flourcarbon for bait casting reels?

Fluorocarbon seems to sink faster than Maxima so it is a good choice for wets and nymphs.
    I have used both types with good success. For a given strength rating Maxima is stiffer and seems more resistant to abrasion with better knot strength in my opinion.

Last year I started using Stroft leader material and I like it better than both of the above. You need to choose it based on diameter rather than breaking strength.
    [url=http://www.uniproducts.com/english/fcs-prod.asp?no=38:722d8]http://www.uniproducts.com/english/fcs-prod.asp?no=38[/url:722d8]

fishon..

There is nothing wrong with the Maxima..

I use it myself.. and for over 6 years...

Ive used tippets, flourocarbon, and many other different leaders and lines... BUT I keep going back to the Maxima..

Last summer I used Berkley for the first time. At first, I had problems with breakoffs. I discontined using the Berkley, but wanted the advantages fluorcarbon is said to offer. So from time to time I continued to try it out. Eventually, I found that by changing the knots I was using, I reduced the breakoffs to something comparable to Maxima.

Basically, this meant that I discontinued using the Perfection Loop with the Berkley. The Perfection loop is one of my favorites and I had used it for a tippet loop and even to tie on my flies. The surgeons loop worked better with fluorcarabon. For tying on the fly I settled on the Pritzen knot. It worked fine with the more limber fluorcarbon, and maybe fluorcarbon is better under selective conditions. I guess that is still open to debate, but I am under the impression it might be. To say the least, I'm convinced it isn't more noticable to the fish. I'm am going to continue to use it.

Just wondering has anyone tried the Figure 8 knot with the Berkley???
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Remember that Flourocarbon floats, so it's not very good for dry fly fishing.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

+ Reply to Thread