+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assategue / Chincotegue Is. Virginia

Default Assategue / Chincotegue Is. Virginia

Had a brief stop in this area last year and plan to go back in mid-late May this year.
    Beautiful beaches looked like a few fellas had some luck with big baitcasters and shrimp etc for bait.
    Looking for advise on "flying" the surf. I have a Stowaway 8wt. and can tie up some "surf candy" in prep. ( Have floating line/sink tip..would I need a sinking line?)
    Any advise on patterns or areas/times to try?
    I am mostly a Great Lakes Trout/Salmon guy from Ontario and could use any advise you have. I could be persuaded to chuck some bait on a steelhead rod/ Penn combo when it's too windy or if that is all that is worthwhile,(or while sittin and grinnin in the sun with a Bud in my hand) but I would prefer to use the Flyrod if at all possible.
    Thanks in advance.
    Duff

------------------
    "These fish we are catching have a disorder...Their heads are too close
    to their tails."
    ~Jimmy Houston~

A friend has been asking me to come down and spend a couple of days fishing for the last couple years when he and his family are on vacation there, haven't got there. Not really familiar with the area, but some general observations.
    I would bring both lines with you gives you the option of fishing either top or bottom.
    Patterns, surf candies are a good choice to imitate, silversides and bay anchovies. Silversides can be imitated with chartruese or sea foam green over clear, with a silver stripe down the side. 2 to 4 inches would be a good length. Bay Anchovies with tan over clear, with a silver stripe down the side, same size. An off beat color combo, pink over clear.
    Some other flies to considered, peanut bunker imitations, shrimp, crabs and killies.
    Places, I would look for jetties, rock piles, inlets, sod banks, areas around bridges. Times, dawn and dusk. 2 hours on either side of the top or bottom of the tide.
    If they happen to coincide with dawn or dusk so much the better. If you feel comfortable there's always fishing at night. Another option would be to rent a boat(they run $40 or $50 a day around here)and work the back bays and intercoastal waterway.
    For years before I really got comfortable fly fishing salt. I used to carry a rod for fishing bait or lures and the fly rod. Gave me a couple of options.

Thanks Philly, ocean surf is a whole new world to me. It will give me a chance to tie up a few of those wild surf flies that I read about but have not had much opportunity to use.
    Cheers
    Duff

------------------
    "These fish we are catching have a disorder...Their heads are too close
    to their tails."
    ~Jimmy Houston~

A stripping basket would be in order if fishing in the surf or using sinking line.
    When I travel I carry a bungie cord that I use as a belt and then buy a small dishpan at a dollar store. Poke a couple of holes in one side to attach the bungie, good to go.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread