+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new member

Default new member

hi all,

my name is shaun, im new here and figured id take a minute to introduce myself...im am just picking fly fishing up again...ive been casting a fly rod off and on for years but i must say that im new to the "art" of fly fishing...normaly the trout just laugh and swim away and id like to change that...im sure ill be bugging you guys for advise for years to come...ill be picking up a fly rod for the firs time in over 7 years here in about a month...im going to take a 4 day pack/fishing trip on the west fork of the gila river near silver city new mexico

here is my first question

i dont have $300-$400 to spend on a rod...im looking for a 4 peice 3/4 wt. 7-8ft rod....dose anyone make a decent beginner rod in maybe the $80-$100 range that will fit what i need?

thanks

shaun

hey thanks rocketfish...ill probably end up with that rod...someone else mentioned that one to me as well

Hey Shaun. Yes, Cabelas is great for low prices together with quality products. Also excellent client service.
    good luck with the adventure!
    R

Hello Shaun and welcome to FAOL from windy SoCal. You should check out our Sponsors page here http://www.flyanglersonline.com/cgi-.../companies.php for some fantastic deals on outfits and supplies. You've got ATF there in El Paso, or check out Albrights , H&H and Global Borber. I'm sure there are more you should get to know in time. Good luck on the Gila. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Welcome to you Shaun, I am also new to FAOL but i have enjoy every tid bit of information I have seen.
    I also did the Cabela's route sand so far so good.

Doug from
    rainy Oregon.

Smile Greetings, Fly Flicker ...

... and welcome to the FAOL BB from the Bitterroot Valley MT.

Nice to have another member from New Mexico. One of your neighbors, VMABuck, has shown us some neat places in and trouts from the mountains of NM. Kind of whets the appetite for more. Hopefully, you have a camera and like to take and post pix of the places you fish and the fishies you chase.

Hope you enjoy your stay here.

John
    The fish are always right.

ff, welcome to FAOL. As other have suggested check Cabela's, also check at Bass Pro Shops or online both will have several outfits to start you out. You might check the Temple Fork Outfitters rods at Cabela's or BPS. Take care and enjoy fly fishing, John.

thanks for the welcome guys...ill be sure to take a camera with me when i go out fishing...im looking into a couple of rods that i think will get the job done for me...i kind of wanted an all purpose rod to get started with but my buddy who's "guiding" this trip ensures me that a 3 wt rod is best for what we are doing.

thanks again

shaun

ps...i have a vise question...is anyone using a danvise and how do you like it?...i came across a decent deal on one ($70) and im thinking of snagging it

Three weight might be good for the specific streams you'll be hitting but it's a little light for many applications. I'd say go with a 5 wt.

Here's a 5 wt...Look at the stream and the fish...three mighta been more fun but the 5 worked fine...

Last edited by Colston Newton; 05-24-2010 at 11:41 PM.

+ Reply to Thread