+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flytying beyond fishing requirements

Default Flytying beyond fishing requirements

I've been friends with Deanna for a long time now, since the posting of my 1st article called 'Firsts' over 10 years ago. Now I am a sponsor and am getting to know the crowd here with Denny's help, who I've also known for a long time.
    How do you feel about flytying as art, humor, collectibles, expressionism, i.e., going beyond the bare minimum required to catch a certain fish? What type of, let's say- 'alternate' tying do you enjoy? Do you enjoy observing or doing? Do you like to design or innovate with your own patterns & recipes?

I am not a fly only type fisherman and my alternate tying is making crappie jigs. With the publication of Mike Valla's book I've gotten back into the history side of the Catskill flies and I enjoy it. I read about collectables on other boards. My current form of expressionism with fly fishing was when the Fish & Wildlife folks here in Vermont put the Dog River under artificial only and all release fishing until about 2013 to study why some years there's more fish in the river than others, now the Dog doesn't get stocked it's all natural fish. I requested that it be a slot limit and one fish to keep only.

Fatman

I enjoy flytying for all of its benefits. Learning, Art, Fishing, Humor, even relaxation in front of the television while listening to my John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart reruns. But, I have other hobbies I do for the relaxation also... I repair stringed orchestra type instruments, violins, violas, basses, etc... and even guitars. My wife says I'm a glutton for punishment... but I'm just a guy that enjoys doing things with my hands.

i am constantly tinkering with the same patterns using different materials, i keep samples of my ties on file cards to build a library. I believe that my greatest find so far is the use of only natural materials, the fish seem to hang on for a second longer with softer material. I take notes of every trip and turn ahll of alot of rocks over. I find paying attention over the years of doing this has paid off. whatever it is it keeps me from going insane
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

i started tying flies long before i ever picked up a fly rod (about 15 yrs ago)...i was in 7th grade and my science teacher Mr. Barker started the fly tying club...after my first couple of after school visits i was hooked and did some extra chores around the house to earn a fly tying kit...we learned a couple of basic patterns and after a couple years of tying i started branching off and tying my own patterns trying to mimic the real flies the best i could in my own way...once i got out of high school and started working my time for tying fell short and i drifted away from it only sitting in front of my vise once in a while...now that im starting to get back into it i remember how much fun it is and wounder why i ever stopped

shaun
    Last edited by fly_flicker; 05-24-2010 at 10:40 PM.

I enjoy seeing how far I can push the envelope of tying . I take great pains to keep true to tying , even when tying realistics. No gluing parts together , no filling defects with resin or paint.My flies ,even my most artistic or complicated ones are completely tied.
    Fred
    Last edited by Fred H; 05-26-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Hi,

I tend to prefer tying with fur and feathers, and I'm not big on synthetics. I don't mind mylar, or synthetic threads, but for some reason I'm not a big fan of foam for aesthetic reasons. Some how, the flies just don't look right to me. I really enjoy tying patterns based upon old 1800s dressings, though many of the materials are unavailable, many are not. Turns out, some of those patterns still hold up really well.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Default Why I tie flies!

I started fly tying, shortly after I took up fly fishing, back in 1995. I found fly tying a challenging pastime, that over time came to learning how to master the various techniques to dressing hooks. It is something I do for making my own flies for fishing, and also creating patterns that are not available commercially.

I took my training from my mentor Al Campbell and his fly tying series on FAOL, he also became my friend. There is a comradeship, a band of brothers sharing with each other their enjoyment of life.

I mostly dress hooks for my own pleasure, it is a way for me to chill-out, and have some quite time. It is a hobby, my fly room is a sanctuary where, I can escape to for some peace and serenity.

Fly tying is just a small part of fly fishing, as is fly rod building, building furled leaders. Fly Fishing is more than catching fish, it has more to do with being at peace with yourself, and taking time to reflex on your place in the whole larger scheme of life.

Fly Anglers OnLine, is a unique place where those of like minds, can meet and converse on thing they have in common. To meet strangers, who shortly become life-long friends sharing a common pastime.

Fly Fishing and all its various venues, give you a quiet place to reflex on life. ~Parnelli

Chartered Member of "Friends of FAOL"
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 05-25-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Don

I like it all. Before I got into fly fishing I think the thing that stood out so much in this sport to me were the flies. I was in awe that such things were taken to chance to fish with; obviously I am speaking of salmon flies. The more I learned about the sport and flies the more I was amazed with the clever genius of tying.

I haven't as of yet tied for art purposes but I will. I have two flies of my own design that are proven steelhead catchers. I watch fly tying to relax and when I actually tie it is my Zen like happy place.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Don you have seen some of my flies and you know they are innovative. No one can figure out how I messed them up.
    I don't have the patience to do artistic tying. Just the way I am built.

lRick

+ Reply to Thread