+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skinny carp.

Default Skinny carp.

Went to look for carp for the first time this year. Found a few but they need to eat they, they were real skinny.009.jpg025.jpg019.jpg021.jpg
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

Cool! Fine work, sir.

Congrats on the skinny fish. What were you catching them on and what type of water were they in? Shallow rocky bottoms or muddy flats? How about what kinds of flies you were using? I chase them very regularly and they have been tough lately.

One comment on the boga style fish holder and that is that they can do a lot of damage to larger carp that you wish to release. The smaller ones probably do fine but a big net is key for larger fish. I've been using these short handled inexpensive nets from Frabill. Large enough for big fish and inexpensvie: http://www.frabill.com/store/landing...nets/3674.html I've landed 25 plus pound carp in this net. It still attached to a magnetic release and I carry it on the middle of my back.

Congrats on the nice captures.

Rick

Clay...I was fishing in a marsh, weedy and muddy. I was using purple or black woolybuggers tied on a #8. It was sight fishing and very short cast. All of the carp were released, and that was the first time I used the grip on carp. I will be going back to a net too hard to get into thier mouths. My goal is a 20# carp I know they are there and have had them on but they break me off.
    "Next to a healthy 10 pound carp a brook trout can look like a minnow in a clown suit"

I hear the skinny ones are the hardest to catch..cuz they are picky eaters! tuff conditions though. From the pictures the water looked like there was only a couple of inches of vis.

Must have been the lo-carb diet woolly buggers
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

All of the workout and no wieght gain. GT171 they made the sight fishing easy by poking thier heads out of the weeds and water to eat.

Blog Entries

Steve, I'm glad you had a good day out. Whatever you do, don't let Miss Betty catch a carp. We must prevent that at all costs!

Ed

EdD
    Would it sound better if you would refer to them as a " Prarrie Bonefish" That way she can maintain her rep.
    Larry

EdD, the smile on her face would be priceless. But I would be happy to get her after the bluegills again, top water this time.
    ldice they were as skinny as bonefish.

+ Reply to Thread